Running valve lifters with Mk5 TP cams

Brian Thompson

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I purchased two sets of the Mk5 cams about 6 month's ago off Terry. He still lists them available on his web site. I guess due to consumer demand he may have had some more made. He seems to be able to meet demand when there is a volume of parts needed.
I can't praise Terry enough in my transaction's with him. He is very patient and polite.And if anyone can test a man's tolerance it would have to be me.
After some careful grinding I have the lifters nearly fitted correctly. Just a little more work. Then onto the part I'm sure everyone loves. The cam timing.I think Terry has explained this to me about 5 times now. See what I mean about being patient?
Cheers
brt650

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
I've been pestering him with questions for at least two years now. He takes the time to answer every question, even when the topic has nothing to do with the parts he has provided. I met him at Kanab, Utah a couple of years ago and we talked at length. He is not one for self promotion or boasting. As the evening progressed the usual topic came up in the group, "My Vincent is faster than your Vincent". Reality is that by todays measure none of the bikes being discussed is fast, they are all somewherein the 40 to 60 hp range. Terry sat quietly listening to the discussion until I asked him if he had put his Bonneville bike on the dyno and if so what were the results. I could tell he did not want to answer and put a damper on the proceedings. Finally he did tell me quietly that the bike made 142 RWHP on dyno test.

Last edited:

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
I recall there were a couple of doubters on the 58 hp Comet, you might have been one. Dyno sheet posted on that, all went quiet, but still the nonbelievers are out there. The 142 hp engine is fuel injected, 13 to one and running on methanol. I expect the number is accurate.
Glen

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
Fuel injected, 13-1 methanol, every word detracts from the total numbers, most of us run pump gas (petrol) and ride on "the street" how about some real world horsepower claims? I have no desire to do any of you down , but the question,as ever is -how far can you go with only 998 + "on the road" REgards, roy

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
I cannot say and should point out that neither of the bikes mentioned are my acheivements, the mention was purely to acknowledge what others(Terry and John Trease) have accomplished. Like Burt Munro , of Worlds fastest Indian fame, Terry has built the race bike from his first Vincent. He purchased the bike when he was 17. That the old cases hang together at this output is remarkable in itself.

Why does fuel injection detract from anything? If the man has the ability to adapt it to an old engine and make it work, more power to him, pun intended. It is just another clever mod, no different than the Terry Prince mk4 race cams that you are installing. Will they detract from your result?

For 998 on gas , I think Steve Hamel has taken that as far as anyone. Not a roadbike tho.

Glen

Last edited:

Brian Thompson

Non-VOC Member
And don't forget to check your lifter and rod pivot pin for clearance against the rib that the rear cylinder lifter runs past. I had to shave some of the rib away to let the lifter and pin have clearance.
Cheers
brt650

vibrac

VOC Member
Fuel injected, 13-1 methanol, every word detracts from the total numbers, most of us run pump gas (petrol) and ride on "the street" how about some real world horsepower claims? I have no desire to do any of you down , but the question,as ever is -how far can you go with only 998 + "on the road" REgards, roy

I think the answer to that would reside with Ray Elgar if you know your Vincent 60's History

litnman

VOC Member
What are the specs on the MK 5 cams? I don't see them or the cams listed on TP's website.
John H