Running valve lifters with Mk5 TP cams

BigEd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Reminds me of the guy that just heard the last cuckoo. ;-) (Might need to be English to understand that.)

There is a bit of an inside joke to the "Last ever" mention. I believe it was John Mead who posted about buying the last available set of these cams awhile after Terry sold me the last available set. We decided it wasn't possible for us both to have the last available set so one set must be the penultimate last set and the other just the regular or common last set.

Glen

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hello brt650, What do you have to do with the top valve guide, Even with the old Mk2 you have to take a bit off the top, Cheers Bill, Are these the ones with the curved followers? Good Luck, Bill.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Thanks Glen, I have Probably !! The last set of Somerton cams, In my Special, I fitted them in1980, Can't remember doing any mod' on the valve lifters, I do like this type of cam/follower, But I can't see how they work ! Cheers, Bill.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
Those followers have a lot of mass, there might be temptation to lighten judiciously.

I think the lower guide is shortened for Mk2 cams.

davidd

VOC Member
Those followers have a lot of mass, there might be temptation to lighten judiciously.

I think the lower guide is shortened for Mk2 cams.

I think the later followers are:

By the way, that is a MK4 cam not the MK5. I was just show-casing some of Terry's parts.

David

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
My cams and followers were delivered about two years ago, I'm surprised that Terry changed things afterward, but good on him if he continues to make improvements. On edit, now that I look at them, these followers are scooped out quite deeply on the top side. It would be interesting to know why the change was made and which style came first. Probably 6 of one half dozen of the other.

Last edited:

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
oh I think I see what he was up to, the cutaway doubles as an oil collection trough for startup lube etc.