Vincent Related RIP Ken Phelps

Chris.R

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I last had a mail from Ken on the 19th so what a shock when I had a note this evening from Dick Wheeldon and immediately wrote asking for any information to Martyn Goodwin. I had been good friends with Ken known to many as Phelpsy ever since I found he had my old 1951 Comet UK reg NKN112, he has more recently written me how up he was entered in the Indian Pacific Cannonball run all entries had to be 1948 or earlier Ken wrote that the bike was in a truck with others being taken to the Margaret River Busselton start for the 3000 plus miles run to Merimbula, Eden, NSW he had flown over to take a few jars with some old airforce buddies he said. The bike he was to ride was the 1948 Rapide rescued as an insurance write off and turned into a Bobber, he wrote me how he had been sleeping among the trees and scrub and was now 1500 miles into the ride on a very grimy Vincent he was at that time pleased to be sleeping in a cabin and having hot meals and a shower and he said a proper bed. His was one of 8 bikes that were not HDs he mentioned the 1920 Invincible and the 1924 four cylinder Excelsior still running good as far as he knew. Before setting off on the run he has stripped the bike down inspected the cylinders and top end taken the chain and timing cases off changed oils and added grease and fitted new tyres.

Ken had come to UK four years ago and stayed here twice when I photoed his legend of a Norvin 254,000 miles.

This is the last phot Ken sent me from out west in the Australian bush.

I told him to be careful of Roos

My condolences go to Kens son Ryan
Ken on the 1948 hybrid Rapide-bobber.jpg

Chris.R

VOC Member
Ever the engineer which he was, when Ken was here it was only fitting that as a RAAF trained engineer I take him to Biggin Hill where he got to sit in a Spitfire he was so happy and a little surprised that he got to sit in a Spitfire, he thought the mirror the pilot had a little small for the job. He had barely got into the hanger when he was discussing the finer points of an engine with staff engineers.

Ken once said to me when we got divorced the wife cleaned me out all I got was the bikes he added about this Norvin that he could not afford to race it any more so it lives in the lounge.

Oh! the other photo is Ken outside the historic Wiltons music hall in Londons east end off Wellclose Square.

Attachments

• Racing Norvin.jpg
    Racing Norvin.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 66
  • _DSC0464.JPG
    _DSC0464.JPG
    362.4 KB · Views: 71
  • Ken in the spitfire cockpit_DSC0499.JPG
    Ken in the spitfire cockpit_DSC0499.JPG
    249 KB · Views: 70
  • Ken in the spitfire cockpit_DSC0501.JPG
    Ken in the spitfire cockpit_DSC0501.JPG
    265.8 KB · Views: 69
  • Ken Phelps discussing aircraft engines_DSC0483.JPG
    Ken Phelps discussing aircraft engines_DSC0483.JPG
    214 KB · Views: 66

brian gains

VOC Member
So true about the deer in the UK. Unfortunately a friend 'collected' one in broad daylight earlier this year, totaled her machine , modern Triumph Tiger, she fortunately survived but with cracked ribs and lacerated internal organ ?. Also, bumped into my machinist a couple of weeks ago and he was considering knocking biking on the head as these deer incidents were giving him the yips.
The deer issue here in the SE is getting as bad as the cattle, roos and brumbies in Oz .
Just sayin', take care out there.
ps Ken Phelps seemed like the real deal, Godspeed. Condolences to family and friends.

Chris.R

VOC Member
Last evening I found JJ a route marshal he said that Ken was not on the published route at the time of the incident. I have this reply from Martyn Goodwin to my plaintive but forlorn hope.

Sorry Chris but it is true. As I understand it Ken left the main group of riders to detour to visit someone he knew, so he was riding alone on a little used country road. Apparently around 2 in the afternoon a passing motorist discovered him dead on the side of the road with his smashed bike and a dead Roo nearby.

As normal for Ken he eschewed modern protective gear, favouring a 20 yo pudding base helmet (photo in earlier post #8 by Graham Smith)

I have been told that if he had been wearing a full face helmet the outcome may have been very different. At least he passed doing what he loved - riding.

Martyn

rapide049

Non-VOC Member
Ever the engineer which he was, when Ken was here it was only fitting that as a RAAF trained engineer I take him to Biggin Hill where he got to sit in a Spitfire he was so happy and a little surprised that he got to sit in a Spitfire, he thought the mirror the pilot had a little small for the job. He had barely got into the hanger when he was discussing the finer points of an engine with staff engineers.

Ken once said to me when we got divorced the wife cleaned me out all I got was the bikes he added about this Norvin that he could not afford to race it any more so it lives in the lounge.

Oh! the other photo is Ken outside the historic Wiltons music hall in Londons east end off Wellclose Square.
Kens number 87 is the Bike on the cover of Tuning for Speed

Chris.R

VOC Member
So true about the deer in the UK. Unfortunately a friend 'collected' one in broad daylight earlier this year, totaled her machine , modern Triumph Tiger, she fortunately survived but with cracked ribs and lacerated internal organ ?. Also, bumped into my machinist a couple of weeks ago and he was considering knocking biking on the head as these deer incidents were giving him the yips.
The deer issue here in the SE is getting as bad as the cattle, roos and brumbies in Oz .
Just sayin', take care out there.
ps Ken Phelps seemed like the real deal, Godspeed. Condolences to family and friends.
Ken was indeed the real deal if ever there was one his interests spread way beyond motorcycles anything technical that was his bag, yes the real deal.

Chris.R

VOC Member
A Gathering to celebrate Ken's life will take place in the Rose Chapel, Gippsland Memorial Park Crematorium, Cemetery Drive, Traralgon,Victoria, Australia on THURSDAY 10th November 2022 commencing at 2pm Australian Eastern Summer Time.

It will be live streamed on this link