Remove Me

riptragle1953

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Sliding Off Subject Again.

Sid, I like the fact that a Spitfire could catch up with Natzi V-I buzzer..... tip it's wing, and cause it to crash where it would do no damage!

b'knighted

VOC Member
The Brits were bombed and rocketed for 7 months yet persevered . Remarkable is the only word to describe their grit . Sid .

It was all before my time but the first German bombs were dropped on England in August 1940 and the last V2 rocket was on 27th March 1945. I make that a little more than seven months.

riptragle1953

Non-VOC Member
Just for interest:
The first German bombing of England occurred on March 17, 1915 upon the town of Calais. 6600 lbs. of them from two passes of the Army airship Z-11..... this was the Zeppelin Company's LZ-26.... it's production number.

riptragle1953

Non-VOC Member
It is.... I am wrong here. The mission was to bomb England.... the two Zeps on that day encountered a deep fog over England forcing them to return. The fog was Channel wide but the Z-11 by dropping the sub cloud car 2600' found some clear air over Calais, France....
and bombed them. Sorry for the error..... so much for my memory ...... but now I will find out when Zeps did first bomb England.... it was shortly after this as they had set up a base for the sole purpose of hitting London. Goofy side note..... the Kaiser forbade the bombing of Buckingham Palace as the King was family!

greg brillus

VOC Member
Sid, I like the fact that a Spitfire could catch up with Natzi V-I buzzer..... tip it's wing, and cause it to crash where it would do no damage!
Actually Rip, the Spits used to let the V1's catch up to them and tip the wing as it tried to over take them, given the V1 was good for over 390 mph. Moreover it was more common that the Hawker Typhoons were used for this with their superior low level performance ( Napier Sleave valve 24 cylinder engines) with the Typhoons trying to tip the V1 in the same manner or shoot it with it's four 20 mm cannons.....but they gave up doing this in the end, as the falling bombs would crash and explode on allied territory before they even reached the coast, deciding to leave them to the allied anti aircraft gunners.......Greg.

vibrac

VOC Member
I am old enough to have sucked my thumb at the doodle bugs while in my pram in the garden
thats what my mum told me she only knew it was there when the engine stopped untill then she thought it was "a damm motorbike"
It went over my head and down into a valley
Although we were 35 miles away from London they dropped with regularity all round the Chilterns where we lived
Afterward we were told there was a large sheet of perspex on a map and the fall of the doodle bugs were missdirected via "turned" german spy radios using Berkhampstead water tower as 'big ben' and slid across to report as "falls" in London town

G

Graham Smith

Is there some way you can delete me and anything I've ever had to say from this place?

Rip

Sorry for the delay, but I have been away on holiday, and have only just returned.

Unfortunately, there's no easy way to delete everything that you have written on this forum, as it'll make any thread you've contributed to unreadable (for obvious reasons).

If you would just like to be deleted as a user, anything that you've written will be assigned to the username of 'Guest'.

You can contact me via PM or e-mail should you so wish.

Regards

Graham

A_HRD

VOC Member
Doodle-bug V1 - wing-toppling

Before the war finished in '45, the Glostor Meteor reached production with its 2 amazing (at the time) jet engines - with a 10 hour life-span(!). The Meteors were faster than the Spitfire and were more able to flick-over the wing-tips of the V1 - hence toppling its gyroscopes.

The photo is of a painting I have in my house showing just that. It is signed by the artist, the pilot who first did this, and Sir Frank Whittle the inventor of the jet engine.

Peter Barker
Bristol, UK.

PS Sorry to have contributed to the ongoing hijack of what has become a very interesting thread!

P1030453.jpg