F: Frame Reassembling Upper Frame Member - Comet- Girdraulics

poor1

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
vin998 - Do I assume from your description about the rear wheel lifting that the machine is supported purely on the front stands only and that the rear stand is not in use to put them together??.

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
vin998 - Do I assume from your description about the rear wheel lifting that the machine is supported purely on the front stands only and that the rear stand is not in use to put them together??.
I was assuming that you had the complete RFM and rear wheel still attached to the rear of the engine and that the rear stand and front stands were down. You will need something to support the rear nderside of the engine because without the ufm the engine/ RFM will collapse. That is unless you have a Dave hills centre stand fitted which will support the rear of the engine.
Simon

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I thought the question related to inserting the steering stem into the head with the wheel in place, not installing the UFM onto the head brackets? "Parting the upper frame member from the front end"
I see what you mean Bruce as I was assuming the headstock and oil tank were one unit as I treat them as the ufm assembly and never remove the headstock from the oil tank.

poor1

Non-VOC Member
Mission accomplished thanks for your assistance. Followed the Owners Handbook. Useful to remove mag cover. Had a hydraulic lift under the engine to provide an infinitely variable adjustment for height. Used a cardboard tube secured with a plastic tie around the carb slide to protect it.

poor1

Non-VOC Member
vin998- I did have the the complete RFM and rear wheel still attached to the rear of the engine and the front and rear stands were down. But in addition I did have the hydraulic lift under the engine too for fine adjustment of height. Thanks very useful.

nkt267

VOC Member
At this point completely ignore the rear which will be tilted high. Once the front mount stud and nuts are engaged loose, press down on the rear of the ufm so it it engages the rear cylinder and get the bolt/ fitting through the lot. When doing this the ufm will pivot on the front cylinder and raise the wheel off the ground. Then tighten the studs & nuts where the cylinder brackets fit the ufm. Remember to back the rear one off one flat and lock with a second nut to allow for movement when the engine heats up.
This does not apply on the Comet where there is no rear head, the rear bolt should be fully tightened.