F: Frame Reassembling Upper Frame Member - Comet- Girdraulics

poor1

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Parting the upper frame member from the front end was not a problem and so you could say it's simply a matter of reversing the process. However any tips would be appreciated because have not done it before and it's quite awkward manoeuvring the two parts. I cannot find any previous posts here, or specific reference in the usual Vincent books. In particular lining up the height of the the forks and the upper frame member, as I'm looking to doing it with the wheel and mudguard attached. Not exactly the sort of thing to do at the side of the road.

I can appreciate that the oil feed union might be vulnerable to damage. Can this be detached from the tank and fitted after it has been put together?.

poor1

Non-VOC Member
OK I've found a reference to Replacing The Upper Frame Member on page 59 of the Vincent Owners Handbook, but I would still be glad of any tips you have.

davidd

VOC Member
I mostly prefer to take the front end off with the wheel attached. Mostly, because I am working alone. If you remove the front wheel the removed assembly is harder to store because the front fender can become damaged in the moving. The fork and UFM will be easy to store with the wheel on. With the wheel on, you need to have a motorcycle tie somewhere attached to something strong and hang the whole assembly by the handle bars to prevent damage. The tire can stay on the ground, it just needs support from above to keep from flopping about.

Or, if you are like a good friend of mine you can take of the whole thing and flop it down anywhere. Be careful not to protect the carb slides as they might fit properly when it goes back together.

001.JPG

This is a Series D, but the same principles apply. With the C it is best to drain the oil from the tank and undo the oil return on the bottom of the UFM. If you undo the banjo bolt on the return only a little oil will leak out because it goes via a tube inside the tank to the filler spout. Only the oil in that short piece of tube should leak out. I usually drain the oil out of the tank via the supply tube that runs to the front of the oil pump. With no oil in the tank there should not be any big surprises. I was kidding about the carb slides!

David

poor1

Non-VOC Member
This is more or less how I dismantled. I am about to put it back together and was hoping for some hints and tips. Thanks for the suggestions so far.

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Here is how I reassemble with a complete front end. This is assuming the engine is supported on the front stands and something under the rear of the engine.
Remove mag cowel. Place a 1" thick piece of wood in front of the engine and then run the front wheel onto it. The wood is not necessary but does help. Get the rear of the mudguard as close to the front of the engine as possible. Then engage the front of the ufm with the front cylinder bracket and put the front stud / nuts etc through the mounting. At this point completely ignore the rear which will be tilted high. Once the front mount stud and nuts are engaged loose, press down on the rear of the ufm so it it engages the rear cylinder and get the bolt/ fitting through the lot. When doing this the ufm will pivot on the front cylinder and raise the wheel off the ground. Then tighten the studs & nuts where the cylinder brackets fit the ufm. Remember to back the rear one off one flat and lock with a second nut to allow for movement when the engine heats up.
The above can be done quicker than the time it took to type it out.
Simon

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
Another little trick; if you tighten the steering friction damper hard, you can steer the front end around easily with one hand on the brake lever and the other under the rear of the oil tank. It also makes it easier to park it.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
I thought the question related to inserting the steering stem into the head with the wheel in place, not installing the UFM onto the head brackets? "Parting the upper frame member from the front end"