F: Frame Rear seat stays friction

oexing

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I do not think the design in Bill´s photo to be very clever as it induces a lot of bending load onto any damper rod that may be in there. The angle on the top item is no good idea. Recently I was thinking of possibly utilizing strong gas struts to replace the rigid stays - a question of tuning the whole system so as not to foul dual seat or mudguard over potholes.

Vic

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I do not think the design in Bill´s photo to be very clever as it induces a lot of bending load onto any damper rod that may be in there. The angle on the top item is no good idea. Recently I was thinking of possibly utilizing strong gas struts to replace the rigid stays - a question of tuning the whole system so as not to foul dual seat or mudguard over potholes.

Vic
I know what you mean Vic, But on the Bike it looked right, You always knew when Pat was at a rally, By those struts !, And he did many !, The Bike was like that for 30 to 40 years, From what I remember.
Sometimes you would think something was not strong, But would last forever !!.
I wonder if Clev Trev had anything to do with building them ?.
Cheers Bill.

Albervin

VOC Member
I oil the friction material and nip the adjuster so the ball locks it. I have done this on my modified B for years, maintains the original looks but gives adequate suspension for me and my luggage.

vibrac

VOC Member
If you are intent on keeping the friction stays for appearance sake I would have thought it's not impossible to find narrow sealed bearing to fit inside the clamp with room for a plate on the outside with a fake hex head offset in it, plus you would need a bit of lathe work around the center 'bush' .
I can't see that a modern damper at the rear needs any help from the friction stays and their influence needs to be kept at a minimum

Vincent Brake

VOC Member
Morning Vincent, Any chance of selling us a set, Or do they have to be done to each seat stay. Cheers Bill.
still have one for myself to do, but can take yours along on the machine, send it over, the 1/2 axle must be a good fit in the ALu thing, best with some glue as well
DSC00985.JPG

clevtrev

VOC Member
I know what you mean Vic, But on the Bike it looked right, You always knew when Pat was at a rally, By those struts !, And he did many !, The Bike was like that for 30 to 40 years, From what I remember.
Sometimes you would think something was not strong, But would last forever !!.
I wonder if Clev Trev had anything to do with building them ?.
Cheers Bill.
The struts on Pats bike, now ridden by one of his sons, were originals made by Gene Aucott of Pennsylvania, date back to the mid fifties. I think they were fitted when Pat bought the bike back in 1959.