FT: Frame (Twin) Rear Inner Spring Boxes

Comet Rider

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi Norman,
Sorry wasn't meaning to have a go, just trying to clarify the differences.
On the front S/B I have seen powder coating make the fit so tight you really struggled to push them together.

Neil

timetraveller

VOC Member
No problem Neil, no offense was taken.. I am not such a delicate little petal that I get offended easily and, with hindsight, it is clear that both front and rear were being discussed. Of course that still leaves Highbury wondering what route to take. Centreless grinding is certainly over the top in this application.

highbury731

VOC Member
I just got a quotation from AM Philpott - UK 86 + VAT each. EACH !!

At that price, I should sell my pair on ebay for a fortune and buy new ss ones for UK 104 each

highbury731

VOC Member
Maldon Shot Blasting and Powder Coat is offering to do prep and cerakote for UK 65 + VAT each - so it's a UK 150 job. Lots of colours, or satin black, but no silver sheen or dull grey available
Paul

highbury731

VOC Member
Is it feasible to remove the steel tube from the Girdraulic inner spring boxes? Both mine have deep scores, and one also has some deep corrosion damage. I'm thinking of replacing the steel tube on at least one of them.

So, I looked for some tube. Having cut up an old damaged bicycle frame, I have some 1 1/8" tube with the same internal diameter as the FF16.

What I am thinking of doing is getting the steel tube either hard-chrome plated or cerakoted, and then fitting it to the clevis fitting (get it zinc coat like the other steel bits) - maybe a push fit or epoxy it on.

Paul

stu spalding

VOC Member
maybe a push fit or epoxy it on.
A word of caution here, if the tubes are the slightest bit snug on the springs, the springs can lift them off the ends. I once stopped the bike and noticed a 1" gap between tube and end. How the spring stayed in place I'll never know. Cheers, Stu.

timetraveller

VOC Member
Is there some reason you could not weld the new tube onto the original lower ends, polish everything smooth and then get the whole thing DHCd?