FT: Frame (Twin) Rear Inner Spring Boxes

Peter Holmes

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Can anyone recommend a good and reasonable chrome plating company that does diamond hard chrome to a good standard.

Chris Launders

VOC Member
Look these up HPC, Hard Chrome Plating and Grinding, Mansfield, they do fork legs etc and have been on the go for at least 30 years, they also do polishing so I assume you can have them hard chromed and polished, We've occasionally had fork legs done for at least that long and they recently built up and ground an early Myford spindle for me. https://www.hardchromeplating.co.uk/

highbury731

VOC Member
I am thinking of getting my Girdraulic inner spring boxes hard chromed. Would this be a suitable repair for them?
Paul

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
I can understand the logic if it were a telescopic fork tube, as you say truly round, and then ground to exact size, but as the inner spring box is a comparatively loose fit I would have thought as long as the tube is round then that should be fine, all I would be looking for is a hard durable surface finish, either polished or satin chrome, flash chrome just does not seem up to the task, and stainless scores up really bad.

Last edited by a moderator:

A_HRD

VOC Member
I think, Peter, that what VB is trying to say is that most grinders designed to grind round bars or tubes rely on the tube being pretty much truly "round". They don't take off very much material. Try putting a digital calliper across your inner spring-box at various places around the circle. I'll wager you'll get 5 thou or more "out of round".

That means a grinding machine would likely go down to base metal in places and not touch the hard chrome in others!

Just saying...

Peter B
Bristol, UK.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Peter, Thanks for the clarification, and yes you are correct, I am thinking that all the spring boxes would require would be a polished surface and not a ground surface.

Vincent Brake

VOC Member
Can't polish hard chrome..
Its not smooth on it.
Need to grind.

Just chrome.
With lots of nickel cupper and shit under it.

But don't ever touch it again.

Difficult to do this, to remain.
Not to be confused with popular issues lately

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Vincent, I spoke with a company in the UK that offers as one of their services diamond hard chroming, the company is Davies Precision Grinding Ltd, they assure me that they can polish diamond hard chrome, it will not be as shiny (decorative) as flash chrome, but will be a lot more durable, that is exactly what I require.