FT: Frame (Twin) Rear Inner Spring Boxes

timetraveller

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
The durability can be remarkable. I remember about 50 years ago one of the local riders dropped his Black Shadow with diamond hard chromed exhaust pipes. The bike slid down the road on the exhaust side of the bike and flattened the rear pipe. The pipe was flat and the chrome unmarked.

highbury731

VOC Member
By 'polishing the hard chrome', do you mean buffing as is done to prepare the steel for chrome plating?
Paul

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Paul, I really don’t know, but if I end up with inner spring-boxes that are a clean silver finish, shiny or dull is neither here or there to me, I will be pleased, and of course if it remains scuff free it would be a real bonus.

erik

VOC Member
What is if you bond a small PTFE ring on the top of the inner tube? will this avoid any scratches?Erik

timetraveller

VOC Member
You will not scratch diamond hard chrome. What will happen to the inner edge of the outer box is a different matter.

vibrac

VOC Member
Or there is Bananamans solution: Had it for years on the racing Comet, anything to save weight...
1590663341068.png

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Norman, what damage would you anticipate the hard chrome inner would inflict on the steel outer, would you consider this to be a dangerous thing to do, looking at what normally happens to the standard steel spring boxes with deep scores ect. would it be any worse than that? I can only foresee an improvement in wear rates.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Tim, only problem is I am playing with Thornton rear springs, had them for years but never got round to trying them, hence no spring claws, I am trying to dispense with the small right angled brackets and velcro though as these items do not sit well with me, I am trying to benefit from the built in pre load of the Thornton springs, not to be confused with the ride height, I think the system Marcus designed is adjustable for ride height, but does not start of with any preload, I think most modern suspension systems recognise that a degree of pre load is an essential part of a good suspension system, that should put the cat among the pigeons!

davidd

VOC Member
I think most modern suspension systems recognise that a degree of pre load is an essential part of a good suspension system, that should put the cat among the pigeons!

I think that is an accurate statement, but I might have said it the other way around: "Vintage motorcycle design did not recognize the importance of adjustable preload for compliant suspension." This should not be surprising because motorcyclists did not recognize the importance of suspension. Many felt it made the bike uncontrollable (and it did in many designs).

Well-designed coil-over dampers do a good job of providing excellent handling with adjustability.

thumbnail_P1030841 02.jpg

David

b'knighted

VOC Member
Hi David,
slight divergence from thread title but I see no front spring boxes but I can see the coil over. Is that the same unit as used on the back, which appears to be a Thornton unit. I enquire as I have just fitted one of Norman’s steering columns to a Comet with Thornton suspension and have wondered about swapping the coil-over to the front. Is that something you would advise?