Rapide tank not central

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I did not realize HOW bad it was off when first reading this. Now that I have seen it offset rubbers won't do it....... BUT, the tank is unpainted fortunately and it does (to me) look like a cut and re-weld fix.

As the man on the pakistan border post said

"Is that an indian tank?"

jim burgess

VOC Member
Think I may modify the rubbers and try and level the tank. Don't really want to mess around with an original Vin tank.
I put up with this for ten years, modifying rubbers to suit, never really worked always looked crap and always difficult to fit and removed, modifying rubbers is not easy. Make up a mandrel to fit the best hole, then fit the cut bracket to it, then your welder does the rest. best of luck.
jim

bmetcalf

VOC Member
I believe those Indian tanks have been commented on here in the Forum. The Spares Co sent them a jig for some QC, but I haven't seen anything official on the results. Some users have reported excellent fits, but I don't know if they were pre- or post-jig examples.

danno

Non-VOC Member
Thanks
When I next remove the tank I'll check how much out the mounting lugs/holes are. It must have been like this since the bike was manufactured in 1952 and my father never bothered to rectify it.
There are a few chips on the paintwork surrounding the oil filler maybe due to wear from the filler cap.

Incidentally the cap retaining chain has broken on my filler cap and I was advised at a bike show to change the cap to a pattern item.

The VOC Spares Company Limited

VOC Member
I believe those Indian tanks have been commented on here in the Forum. The Spares Co sent them a jig for some QC, but I haven't seen anything official on the results. Some users have reported excellent fits, but I don't know if they were pre- or post-jig examples.

Not correct! We have made a jig, but we failed to find a good enough sample Indian tank to be able to work with the maker, there seems to be 3 or more different patterns of tanks (we have bought plenty!) therefore I guess 3 or more makers.

Also to send the jig to India would certainly mean loss of control of its use.

So NO pattern tanks from any source are currently being made on a VOC Spares Co jig.

However we are pursuing getting tanks made on the jig, watch out for news.

Ian Savage
The VOC Spares Co Ltd