Rapide tank not central

danno

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Thanks
All makes sense. Now I know that it's just a minor imperfection common on other Vins I won't spend too much time on it. I have been gently
raising the tank as I unsrew the cap to avoid it catching but I may modify the rubber mounts as suggested.

nkt267

VOC Member
the holes in my tank rubbers are off centre,i believe they are all like this.Have you tried rotating them to try to improve the cenering of the filler neck?.
my tank is offset as well but at least the cap does not rub on the tank..john

D

Deleted member 1085

On the use of O rings between fins to dampen out noise . My drag bike used this idea to reduce noise from its clutch , it used only a portion of the clutch dome so made a racket . This trick helped a great deal to stop the drum from ringing . Sid .
What is the connection with "Rapide tank not central"

jim burgess

VOC Member
My tank was a long way off centre, examination showed that the holes in the front tank mounts were not in line, up to half inch out. So i had one removed modified and welded back on in line. The tank was not damaged, it had been made like this. I have probably taken £50,000 off for lack of originality.
Find a good welder.
Jim burgess

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
On the tank issue , there were some Vincent tank copies made in India that were as described , the mounting ears up front were way off , told me by John Healy . Sid .

danno

Non-VOC Member
My tank was a long way off centre, examination showed that the holes in the front tank mounts were not in line, up to half inch out. So i had one removed modified and welded back on in line. The tank was not damaged, it had been made like this. I have probably taken £50,000 off for lack of originality.
Find a good welder.
Jim burgess

Think I may modify the rubbers and try and level the tank. Don't really want to mess around with an original Vin tank.

riptragle1953

Non-VOC Member
I did not realize HOW bad it was off when first reading this. Now that I have seen it offset rubbers won't do it....... BUT, the tank is unpainted fortunately and it does (to me) look like a cut and re-weld fix.