• Welcome to the website of the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club.

Should you have any questions relating to the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club, or Vincent H.R.D. motorcycles in general, please contact Graham Smith, Hon. Editor and Webmaster by calling 07977 001 025 or please CLICK HERE.

You are unrecognised, and therefore, only have VERY restricted access to the many features of this website.

If you have previously registered to use this forum, you should log in now. CLICK HERE.

If you have never registered to use this website before, please CLICK HERE.

Rapide Model Name

bmetcalf

Well Known and Active Website User
VOC Member
On jtan, the question of the origin of the name Rapide has been raised. Lagonda cars had a Rapide model in the late '30's. Was PCV inspired by that or did he independently note that the French word for rapid sounded sort of exotic and signified speed?

david bowen

Non-VOC Member
Rapide

De Havilland had a aircraft called a rapide prototype 1934 PCV was a friend of the De Havilland family and we use to do work for them they where only 8 miles down the road from Vincents works David

fgth130

Active Website User
VOC Member
In addition to the Rapide, there were also the De Havilland Comet and Meteor names, the Rapide definitely went into production.
The Rapide was / is a good looking biplane with faired spats round the fixed landing gear. BTW the only Rapide I've seen had a propellor driven dynamo mounted between upper and lower wings, enough to charge a battery when in flight I suppose. There was also a 'Comet' pub outside de Havilland's Hatfield factory, which I used to pass daily back in the old days.
Frank

david bowen

Non-VOC Member
whats in a name

checking on air craft names De Havillands all so made a Vampire vincent connection west ham speed way bikes with Vincent speed way engine now a Ha Ha Lightning made by Lockheed USA perhaps this is where the Lightning with funny numbers came from ?

david bowen

Non-VOC Member
vincent speedway engines

Just had a phone call from a vincent owner asked me about ( Vampire name) vincent engines where fitted into same West Ham speedway bikes they where called Vampires the Craven brothers where two of the guy who rode them with success Phill Irving told us at that time 1949? that the speedway riders union banned all engines but J.A.P.s David

clevtrev

VOC Member
Couple of things, from an ex-De Havilland man.
No such plane as a Rapide, `twas a Dragon Rapide DH89, that followed on from the DH 84 Dragon.
Never heard of a Meteor, that was Gloucester Airplane Co.
Vampires, Venoms and Sea Vixens all had the TWIN BOOM though.

david bowen

Non-VOC Member
Dragon Rapide

Got me Trev Ok what was the correct name of the Black shadow in 1948

Last edited:

mercurycrest

VOC Member
As Usual, Clevtrev, knows more than the Museum. My Janes All the World's Aircraft say's Dragon Rapide. The were originally called Dragon Six, refering to the Gypsy Six Engines. 700 of them built between '34 & ,44.
Cheers, John:)

clevtrev

VOC Member
As Usual, Clevtrev, knows more than the Museum. My Janes All the World's Aircraft say's Dragon Rapide. The were originally called Dragon Six, refering to the Gypsy Six Engines. 700 of them built between '34 & ,44.
Cheers, John:)
The DH86 is best forgotten.

fgth130

Active Website User
VOC Member
I never thought there'd be such interest in this thread . . . two comments however:

a) The entry in Wikipedia for de Havilland Rapide reads: "Originally designated the "Dragon Six" it was first marketed as "Dragon Rapide" although was later just called a "Rapide". With the fitting of improved trailing edge flaps from 1936, they were redesignated DH.89As."
Certainly 'Rapide' is what a friend of the family always called it, never "Dragon Rapide", and he flew one for a long time; so the museum is possibly correct.

b) my memory is not what it used to be! Meteor was indeed a Gloster name, not 'de H', however the prototypes were fitted with de Havilland Halford jet engines. This probably confused the brain cells.

Frank

Don McInnes

VOC Member
Somebody told me Avro made a twin engined monoplane called the Black Shadow with a 5" Smiths chronometric air speed indicator

ET43

Aeroplane names and things

Many years ago Iron Horse magazine, or something like that, produced an article stating that loads of Picador engined drones were lost after being launched from Woomera, and that they were scattered all across the great Australian outback. It was later reported that more than a few Hells Angel types were seen setting off in search of these beasties. The fact is, that none were ever tested there. Oh what a shame ! Although, I believe that a few are resting on the bottom of the English channel.
Cheers, ET43

clevtrev

VOC Member
Many years ago Iron Horse magazine, or something like that, produced an article stating that loads of Picador engined drones were lost after being launched from Woomera, and that they were scattered all across the great Australian outback. It was later reported that more than a few Hells Angel types were seen setting off in search of these beasties. The fact is, that none were ever tested there. Oh what a shame ! Although, I believe that a few are resting on the bottom of the English channel.
Cheers, ET43
I think you would do better to search the Irish Sea.

david bowen

Non-VOC Member
Picador

Correct ET43 no picadors at Woomera but at WRE the headquaters of Woomera they did have a picador engine only a late VOC member landed up with the flywheels he worked there as did three more Voc members who are still with us

david bowen

Non-VOC Member
clevtrev

had a word with Doc Fuller this morning he has found the Vincent HRD brochure which had got in late 1948 when he bought his rapide (which he still has) and reads Rapide Black Shadow.

Last edited:

Latest Forum Threads

Can't Find What You Need?

Buyer Beware: Fake or Real?