Rapide Model Name

bmetcalf

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
On jtan, the question of the origin of the name Rapide has been raised. Lagonda cars had a Rapide model in the late '30's. Was PCV inspired by that or did he independently note that the French word for rapid sounded sort of exotic and signified speed?

david bowen

Non-VOC Member
Rapide

De Havilland had a aircraft called a rapide prototype 1934 PCV was a friend of the De Havilland family and we use to do work for them they where only 8 miles down the road from Vincents works David

fgth130

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
In addition to the Rapide, there were also the De Havilland Comet and Meteor names, the Rapide definitely went into production.
The Rapide was / is a good looking biplane with faired spats round the fixed landing gear. BTW the only Rapide I've seen had a propellor driven dynamo mounted between upper and lower wings, enough to charge a battery when in flight I suppose. There was also a 'Comet' pub outside de Havilland's Hatfield factory, which I used to pass daily back in the old days.
Frank

david bowen

Non-VOC Member
whats in a name

checking on air craft names De Havillands all so made a Vampire vincent connection west ham speed way bikes with Vincent speed way engine now a Ha Ha Lightning made by Lockheed USA perhaps this is where the Lightning with funny numbers came from ?

david bowen

Non-VOC Member
vincent speedway engines

Just had a phone call from a vincent owner asked me about ( Vampire name) vincent engines where fitted into same West Ham speedway bikes they where called Vampires the Craven brothers where two of the guy who rode them with success Phill Irving told us at that time 1949? that the speedway riders union banned all engines but J.A.P.s David

clevtrev

VOC Member
Couple of things, from an ex-De Havilland man.
No such plane as a Rapide, `twas a Dragon Rapide DH89, that followed on from the DH 84 Dragon.
Never heard of a Meteor, that was Gloucester Airplane Co.
Vampires, Venoms and Sea Vixens all had the TWIN BOOM though.

mercurycrest

VOC Member
As Usual, Clevtrev, knows more than the Museum. My Janes All the World's Aircraft say's Dragon Rapide. The were originally called Dragon Six, refering to the Gypsy Six Engines. 700 of them built between '34 & ,44.
Cheers, John:)

clevtrev

VOC Member
As Usual, Clevtrev, knows more than the Museum. My Janes All the World's Aircraft say's Dragon Rapide. The were originally called Dragon Six, refering to the Gypsy Six Engines. 700 of them built between '34 & ,44.
Cheers, John:)
The DH86 is best forgotten.