ET: Engine (Twin) Rapide Gearbox - Very 'tight' gearchange

Bill Thomas

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
So you had to take the rear chain sprocket off and take G4 out of the cases and take G12 off, To fit G20 ?.
The shim I was talking about is E76.
Good Luck, Bill.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
We had a case some time ago, Where the chap could not get things working right, And it turned out that he had NOT put the chain sprocket on and tightened it up.
As you know, G3 the mainshaft is pulled to the clutch side, When done up with the the clutch on, And G4 is pulled the other way and done up by the chain sprocket, These both have to be tightened to get the right clearances.
It will all be worth it, In the end !. Cheers Bill.

Phil Arundel

VOC Member
We had a case some time ago, Where the chap could not get things working right, And it turned out that he had NOT put the chain sprocket on and tightened it up.
As you know, G3 the mainshaft is pulled to the clutch side, When done up with the the clutch on, And G4 is pulled the other way and done up by the chain sprocket, These both have to be tightened to get the right clearances.
It will all be worth it, In the end !. Cheers Bill.
Hi Bill - phil the pest here again.
I am building the Rapide from scratch so the engine is on the bench. I had not tightened the chain sprocket so I will make sure I do when testing on the bench. Actually I have enjoyed the challenge and all the great advice you and others have given - thank you so much.
I will report back when I get the assembly together again - that may be tomorrow.
Cheers
Phil

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
That's what we are here for Phil, It gives me a kick if I can help someone, These Vin's are not easy to build , Compared to other British Bikes.
I worked at Conways in the 60 s for a short time, And in 17 years racing Vin's, There is not much I have not broken on them, They are not the best in the world, But I have never sold one , Yet !!.
And I still get a kick out of riding them, Even my Comet, Now I am older, There is nothing like it, If you stop somewhere, It's not long before you get chatting to Complete Strangers, And you get there life history,
As long as you are not in a hurry !!. All The Best, Bill.

Phil Arundel

VOC Member
Hi Bill,
I have been working on the gearbox again today and found myself thoroughly frustrated with it. I thought I had found an issue where the layshaft selector was interfering with one of the gears - but not the problem.
I took a closer look at the selctor bat G30 and found it to be in a rather poor condition (ie not allowing the layshaft selector to run smoothly.
So....I called Graham at Maughan's to order e new one.
While on the phone I discussed the problem of being able to select 2,3,& 4th gear but not neutral and 1st.
He suggested I check if the camplate G32 was running true on its spindle G34 - lo and behold the camplate is running out by about 2mm thus (Grahame suggests) not allowing the selection of 1st & neutral - I presume by placing pressure on the layshaft selector fork (as indicated by 'scuffs on the camplate caused by the layshaft selector fork).
Fingers crossed this is causing the problem - I will report back when the camplate has been trued up on the camplate spindle.
Cheers,
Phil

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Sounds good Phil, I have not seen that before.
Like Greg said , Try and break down each movement.
I wonder if it has had the Boss in the roof of the gearbox repaired, Can you see any fresh welding,
It should just be a casting.
The angled gear is only pressed into the camplate, Is that not pressed home square ?.
Cheers Bill.

Phil Arundel

VOC Member
Sounds good Phil, I have not seen that before.
Like Greg said , Try and break down each movement.
I wonder if it has had the Boss in the roof of the gearbox repaired, Can you see any fresh welding,
It should just be a casting.
The angled gear is only pressed into the camplate, Is that not pressed home square ?.
Cheers Bill.
Hi Bill - the crankcases are new so not a problem there. It looks like the angled gear is not pressed in to the campkate fully of the csmpkate is buckled!
Cgeers
Phil

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Now you tell us !!, Never got my hands on new cases, But there have been stories about some new cases needing a lot of reworking.
I would not think the camplate is bent, If I remember they are very hard, More like the small gear not in square,
I hope !. Cheers Bill.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
If you can't find anything with the camplate, I would put it together and almost unscrew the pivot pin,
By making the pivot more loose it might make it more free ?.
That would tell you if that was the trouble.
Greg said about grinding a Nats off the pivot pin ?, To take the gear out of mesh a bit.
Cheers Bill.