Puncture Repair

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
What about the prevention liquid that you insert into the tube that seals any punctures? I have never used it but the idea of action before a puncture sounds good I am not sure what to look for its easy to get mixed up with the after puncture finlec types.

timetraveller

VOC Member
On my ride on lawn mower which got punctures regularly I use 'Green Slime'. I think this is intended for pedal cycles but has worked well at the slow speeds one get to on a lawn mower.. I have also seen 'purple slime' demonstrated for motorcycle wheels but have no personal experience of it.

Normski

Non-VOC Member
What about the prevention liquid that you insert into the tube that seals any punctures? I have never used it but the idea of action before a puncture sounds good I am not sure what to look for its easy to get mixed up with the after puncture finlec types.
There was a product called ultra seal which worked like this. Some people worried that some pressure could be lost between when something pierces the tyre and sealing happening and then the tyre running at low pressure without the rider realising and then blowing out. Those sort of people probably shouldn’t ride bikes.

danno

Non-VOC Member
There was a product called ultra seal which worked like this. Some people worried that some pressure could be lost between when something pierces the tyre and sealing happening and then the tyre running at low pressure without the rider realising and then blowing out. Those sort of people probably shouldn’t ride bikes.
I bought some years ago for my oilhead BMW.
Never got around to using it.
Yes, people did say that you may get a puncture and not be aware. Just regular inspection needed.

Not sure if it’s suitable for tube type but I may try some slime or something
as tubed tyres are more of a problem to fix if stuck out.

oexing

VOC Member
The rattle can tire slime can be a quick repair to get you home or to next tire supply. But then you´d want a new inner tube anyway. What worries me with permanent slime in inner tubes is the effect on wheel balance - but I have no experience with this stuff. Anybody ??

Vic

timetraveller

VOC Member
Vic, I don't think that the balance will be affected. The slime stays liquid in the tube so as soon as you move away it should be distributed aound the inside of the tube. Oncd again it would be good to have experience from anyone who has used anything similar on a motorcycle.

vibrac

VOC Member
The rattle can tire slime can be a quick repair to get you home or to next tire supply. But then you´d want a new inner tube anyway. What worries me with permanent slime in inner tubes is the effect on wheel balance - but I have no experience with this stuff. Anybody ??

Vic
Ah you see my problem in understanding, does this above comment refer to a permanent pre-puncture sealant which is what I was asking about or a post puncture solution that I have used before eg Finlec?

oexing

VOC Member
My experiences are just the post puncture quick repair slime, worked at least once on the IOM till I got a new inner tube. As this forum is living on old farts it may take quite some time - if ever - to learn about that permanent slime experience and its effect on balance. I read about some foam filling in tires for off-roaders to replace inner tubes. But it is just hearsay, never seen in reality. I would not think this gives you a smooth ride all year long ??

Vic