Puncture Repair

danno

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
(Puncture repair information moved from Danno's post in the Breakdown Cover thread. BigEd)

My dad used to fix the Vin at the side of the road. Also would carry engine parts
and a spare wheel or tyre on travels abroad. Might have been with the Steib sidecar also.
With the Vin, you can do this. I have fixed a puncture on the R60/6 before but
conditions and locations are rarely suitable.
Don’t think I’d want to try it again either.
I did try a tubeless plug and repair kit on the puncture yesterday but the hole was a bit too large.
The AA guys persevered and put extra plugs in then tried heat on it to seal.
Just about held up till I got home.

Last edited by a moderator:

nigsey

VOC Member
Righty or wrongly I carry a Holts emergency puncture repair kit, the aerosol sealant type in a bottle. Fortunately I’ve never had to use it so not sure how effective it would be on a bike. No good if you have a gaping hole in the tyre and it would render the tune useless once used but if it got me home then who cares. Nigel

danno

Non-VOC Member
Yes I bought a can of Holts foam stuff yesterday from Halfords. Meant for cars really.
The chaps used this together with the plugs.
I put the bike on the centre stand, started it and span the wheel to circulate it.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Riding back from Breakish on the Isle of Skye in 1975 (on Rapide), I was 25 years of age, apparently I had a partially perished rear inner tube, I managed to pick up 3 x separate punctures in 3 different locations, I repaired all 3 three punctures with my trusty repair kit, and inflated the tyre with my trusty under the fuel tank pump, and still managed to ride back to Kempston, Bedford, in one hit, arrived back in the early hours, totally knackered, had to fight sleep for the few miles of the journey.
Sadly that sort of stamina left me a few years ago, but I did manage a front inner tube change about 10 years ago, perhaps we just get lazy!

Last edited:

vibrac

VOC Member
I used Finlec (that dates me) a few times in anger. Always carry of aerosol can on the bike when I do long distance trials. I had a front puncture in Frome at 2am on a trials bike, stuffed the aerosol bottle in, did the rest of the 300 mile trial and rode home the next day. Damm messy to repair later though, and the inner tube was in shreds, also other dangers (not always to you) see here: https://www.vincentownersclub.co.uk/threads/puncture-repair-aerosol.8563/#post-75876

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
If you have tubeless tyres I can recommend this repair kit. £8.99 from eBay, post-free. Used it to repair two (!!) nail holes in my Hondas CBR1000F rear tyre. The whole kit comes in a neat pouch.
string puncture repair kit.jpg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/324347018788

danno

Non-VOC Member
Last edited:

stu spalding

VOC Member
I remember someone talking about this sort of thing in MPH a few years ago. In their experience the goop sealed the valve but left the puncture! Cheers, Stu.

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Thanks for the repair kit recommendation.
Looks like a pump would need to be carried for tyre inflation.
I used this kit last Thursday to attempt the repair. Includes four CO2 capsules to inflate the tyre enough to get you going.
It was looking good until I noticed air seeping past the rubber plug.
Maybe some glue of some sort would have helped.

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Thanks for the repair kit recommendation.
Looks like a pump would need to be carried for tyre inflation.
I used this kit last Thursday to attempt the repair. Includes four CO2 capsules to inflate the tyre enough to get you going.
It was looking good until I noticed air seeping past the rubber plug.
Maybe some glue of some sort would have helped.
I never had much faith in the CO2 capsules in other kits I've had in the past so I've "deconstructed" a 12 Volt car pump so it doesn't take too much room in a tank bag or pannier.
Each piece of "string" in the kit is wrapped and impregnated with glue.