• Welcome to the forum website of the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club.

Should you have any questions relating to the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club, or Vincent H.R.D. motorcycles in general, please contact Graham Smith, Online Forum Webmaster by calling 07977 001 025 or please CLICK HERE.

You are unrecognised, and therefore, only have VERY restricted access to the many features of this forum website.

If you have previously registered to use this forum website, you should log in now. CLICK HERE.

If you have never registered to use this forum website before, please CLICK HERE.

PR4/A oil filter housing cap thread - a thread thread!

b'knighted

Well Known and Active Forum Website User
VOC Member
Here's a simple question for those who know and I realise that I could go and unscrew one to measure it to find out, but can anyone tell me if the thread on PR4/A oil filter housing cap is parallel or tapered?

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
K T B gives it 2 1/4 x 20 tpi, no mention of taper. the example i'm building screws in home by hand, so I figure it has to be parralel.

riptragle1953

Non-VOC Member
There is no taper on this thread: now I've made it over ten words long so I can tell you. Who makes up these rules? What's wrong with a short message?

b'knighted

VOC Member
Thank you all.
I am now led to believe that the thread is parallel with a sealing taper on its outboard end.

nkt267

VOC Member
I think you will find that the taper behind the thread seals against the taper in the crankcase aided by a sealant as Roy has already posted..I think you may have misread Ian's reply.. John

riptragle1953

Non-VOC Member
The straight threads tighten the cap with a tapered male flange against the case with an exactly matching female taper.... and no, a not-setting sealer is fine but most times unnecessary. ( uh, is there something difficult here to understand?)

Warning! This thread is more than 10yrs ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Photos from the 2022 North American Rally

Photos from the 2022 Far Far North Rally

Photos from the 2022 Annual Rally

Photos from the 2022 French Rally