Powder coating frame

nahma

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I want to keep moving (even if slowly) on my Dad's Norvin. When he broke it down before he got sick the swing arm and rear frame piece were bead blasted in preps for I assume painting. I've seen very good results with powder coating of motorcycle frames. Would this be considered sacrilegious? Thanks, Keith

timetraveller

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I use powder coating a lot on parts which I get made for astronomical purposes and think that it is very good and long lasting. However, beware that it can be quite a thick coating and that can mean that a lot of work can be required opening up holes to make things fit. Similarly, if there are any clamps which go round frame tubes these might be a very tight fit. I have also had a Vincent rear number plate powder coated and that looked OK. Get a few other peoples advice and experience before you decide. Also be aware that there are different finishes as well as colours for powder coating and not all gloss fiishes are as glossy as others. Also check that the people who do it keep their blasting well separate from the coating part of their works or otherwise particles in the air from the blasting get into the gloss finish and make it rough.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hello Keith, The other thing is that unless you do it all in powder coat, You can get two types of Black ?? Cheers Bill.

nkt267

VOC Member
You can get two types of Black ??
Plus the other 20-30 plus shades.
One thing to think about with powder coating, are there any rubber bushes in the swinging arm? They will normally have to be removed so that they don't melt. All grease must be removed otherwise it will run out of where ever it was hiding and ruin the finish(past experience here).
I have 3 Vincents powdercoated and have been pleased with the results, but then I use a man who knows bikes and understands what needs to be sealed off, scraping powder coating from inside brake drums and bearing housings is a pain.John

D

Deleted member 1085

Having spoken to a number of folks about this, the feedback I have is twin pack is more durable than powder coat. Also, the finish obtained with powder coat is reliant on the surface finish of the surface. With twin pack it is possible to "fill" a poor surface which allows a good finish to be obtained from a poor one. As powder coat relies being heated, it is more difficult to improve a poor finish. Keith J

Robert Watson

VOC Member
I have done both powder coating and two pack polyurethane enamels, and the powder coat is far more durable. I do all the masking before I take my glass bead clean parts to them and they come back very shiny. I took in a Brampton front spring that was quite pitted, was told not to expect it to get filled, but was pleased with the result. It really depends on the guy doing the work --- paint or powder coat, as well as the product used. We are doing a Rapide in satin black which has a sort of dull lustre to it, and just did my TTR in Gloss black and it is stunning. I did two pack paint on my A twin and it is a bit fragile.

Last edited:

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
I just had the experience of removing some sneaky fresh powder coat from highly polished aluminum. Seems my masking job left a bit to be desired. This is a less than ideal surface for most paints to adhere to, but the powder coat was pretty much on like weld. What a job it was to remove about 1 square inch in total, took close to a full hour with various grits of compound and a 7" electric disc sander/ polisher.
I have the two pack black on two bikes. As Robert says, it is fragile. Powder coat is tough as nails.

Glen

Black Flash

VOC Member
hello Glen,
one of my friend sis a powdercoater and does all my staff as he has a few bikes as well and understands them, so I fully trust him. go and ask your powdercoater there is a special thinner you pour over it and it easily rubs away with a stiff brush or a rag. no need to rub it down with emery. He coated one of my polished oarts by mistake and after the use of that thinner (stripper) the part looked the same as after polishing.

Bernd

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
Hi Bernd
After spending a few minutes trying to remove the PC I called the painting company to ask about thinners. They said they had one, but it would require immersion and soak of the offending areas. Since there was no way to do this without also immersing the "good" areas, I opted for the abrasion method of removal. Luckily it was only about a square inch.

I did learn that Powder coat bonds very well and takes an incredilble amount of abrasion for removal. I also learned that proper masking is very important!

Glen

vibrac

VOC Member
is there a filler that can be used with powder coating?
So far I havent worried about using one.
My Scott frame was pitted and after powder coating it shows through, not that I mind it looks fine and shows its 'been about' { a bit like me}
but I expect there are some retentives who would object