H: Hubs, Wheels and Tyres Play in front brake drum

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Well Bill all my racers brake anchors were in alloy I have seen some steel ones drilled for lightness and I know which I would use, But my Trials outfits ones were in steel (I dont know why I use the plural all the racers loose one brake rear drum for a start)

oexing

VOC Member
That alu strip looked veeeery questionable when I saw it first. It is allright for normal braking but not so when stopping at a hill or so when the rear wheel wants to go to the rear. So why not replace it with a thin wall stainless tube flatted at the ends ??? So it will not collapse at compression like the alu strip would - at same weight or less.

Vic

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
That alu strip looked veeeery questionable when I saw it first. It is allright for normal braking but not so when stopping at a hill or so when the rear wheel wants to go to the rear. So why not replace it with a thin wall stainless tube flatted at the ends ??? So it will not collapse at compression like the alu strip would - at same weight or less.

Vic
The " Standard Steel " ones are fine, I sometimes Chrome mine.

oexing

VOC Member
Ahmm, you are right, I copied the steel anchors in alu many years ago - long projects - , so I was wrong in my memory. But in the end I will not use them but make new parts from stainless steel tube for more rigidity.
And I have to confess any holders made from flat steel or alu strips like in headlamp brackets or mudguard stays look very cheap and amateurish to me so I´d go for nicely formed tube types for these uses.

Vic

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Ahmm, you are right, I copied the steel anchors in alu many years ago - long projects - , so I was wrong in my memory. But in the end I will not use them but make new parts from stainless steel tube for more rigidity.
And I have to confess any holders made from flat steel or alu strips like in headlamp brackets or mudguard stays look very cheap and amateurish to me so I´d go for nicely formed tube types for these uses.

Vic
I think these alloy shaped Head Light brackets look far better that bit's of small tube.

Attachments

• IMG_20190628_132855 (3).jpg
    IMG_20190628_132855 (3).jpg
    527.9 KB · Views: 40

danno

Non-VOC Member
The Classic one for me was the Chap who made the long steel strips,
Which stops the rear brake plates from turning, Out of Alloy !,
He had a sidecar, So a lot of weight, Stopped on a hill, And it rolled back a bit, because the alloy
Bent in the middle and the plates turned !!.
I love to change steel stuff for alloy on Vin's, But not that bit :) .

They’re alloy on my Rapide. Originals must’ve been replaced when restored.
It used to have a Steib sidecar fitted but this was way before the rebuild.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I didn't think it was as common as it seems !,
I thought I was remembering back to when I worked for Conways 1965 ish,
But can't be sure of anything nowadays :) .
I can see how Vibrac could getaway with it Racing,
But for the road two up, Stopped on a hill top !!, I would not take that chance, Very cheap to make or buy ?.