H: Hubs, Wheels and Tyres Play in front brake drum

Bill Thomas

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I am wondering if Danno has the brake plate nuts, Flush with the ends of the hollow axle ?,
If the hollow axle was sticking proud it might allow easy movement of the plates ?.
Or the brake plate nuts not tight ?.

danno

Non-VOC Member
I am wondering if Danno has the brake plate nuts, Flush with the ends of the hollow axle ?,
If the hollow axle was sticking proud it might allow easy movement of the plates ?.
Or the brake plate nuts not tight ?.

I did spend quite a bit of time swapping plate clearance shims from one side to the other. Think I may need to order some more.
One side is flush. The other side the axle is a fraction proud.

danno

Non-VOC Member
These are Funny Old Bikes, I am still trying to get mine better after 55 years !.

Yes. They’re high maintenance, especially for a new owner.
Nearly a month on and off to replace the front tyre but impressive that no tools needed to remove wheels.
Will be much quicker next time.
Might try and get a few miles in before I change the rear.

Hugo Myatt

VOC Member
Yes. They’re high maintenance, especially for a new owner.
Nearly a month on and off to replace the front tyre but impressive that no tools needed to remove wheels.
Will be much quicker next time.
Might try and get a few miles in before I change the rear.

One thing I would check for is whether the brake anchor lug is secure in the brake plate. If it is loose the only real answer is a new brake plate. Welding or brazing is unlikely to succeed due to rust in the two components and distortion of the plate.

Gary Gittleson

VOC Member
One thing I would check for is whether the brake anchor lug is secure in the brake plate. If it is loose the only real answer is a new brake plate. Welding or brazing is unlikely to succeed due to rust in the two components and distortion of the plate.

True enough. However, as I just changed the back tire of my D Rapide, I went over the condition of the rear brake (just one, since it's a D). Staring me in the face was the weld I did to the loose anchor pin back in the 1970's about which I had long forgotten. Without the benefit of the expertise now readily available, and with little cash and nothing but gas-welding experience I just went ahead and did the job.

It seems to have worked. The brake works well enough for me. It can easily stop the bike alone, exhibiting no awkward behaviors. I wouldn't want a more effective brake back brake. And of course, the anchor pin hasn't moved. I'm sure it's pulling out under load would be exciting.

Naturally, I don't recommend doing this but I think I got away with it.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
The Classic one for me was the Chap who made the long steel strips,
Which stops the rear brake plates from turning, Out of Alloy !,
He had a sidecar, So a lot of weight, Stopped on a hill, And it rolled back a bit, because the alloy
Bent in the middle and the plates turned !!.
I love to change steel stuff for alloy on Vin's, But not that bit :) .