SP: Spring Boxes (Rear) Petteford springs

Peter Holmes

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
If your bike rear end is fully sprung as opposed to standard with the seat supported off the RFM you will probably need the additional strength of the sidecar spring gauge, especially if you take a pillion passenger frequently, I have run the petteford sidecar variant for years, fully sprung it makes for a very comfortable ride with either KONI or AVO, the only downside being it makes the seat hieght a little tall for my short little legs, but now they have repaired and straightened I am hoping that I have gained a little, it won’t be much, but every little helps! Now what else could I do with being a little longer?

Bazlerker

Non-VOC Member
If your bike rear end is fully sprung as opposed to standard with the seat supported off the RFM you will probably need the additional strength of the sidecar spring gauge, especially if you take a pillion passenger frequently, I have run the petteford sidecar variant for years, fully sprung it makes for a very comfortable ride with either KONI or AVO, the only downside being it makes the seat hieght a little tall for my short little legs, but now they have repaired and straightened I am hoping that I have gained a little, it won’t be much, but every little helps! Now what else could I do with being a little longer?
I never take a passenger and the seat is not fully sprung..

Phil Davies

Non-VOC Member
At the risk of displaying my ignorance (yet again) I was always led to believe that all Petteford springs were sidecar only, the lighter ones being for singles and heavier for twins.

Bazlerker

Non-VOC Member
I’ve entertained a fantasy of having twins on my bike a few times. The fear of getting caught by my wife scares me…

Phil Davies

Non-VOC Member
Baz, same here! but as my wife is an ex TT and continental circus racing sidecar passenger, my death would be very slow and extreemly painful!!

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I Have found a bit in MPH 338.
By dear old Bill Hancock.
Early ones 7 3/4 inch Rapide gauge.
. 300 inch.
For use with Koni front and rear.
And D front springs. With inners!!.
Later made by Dennis Smith.
Some were. 312 gauge.
And Sidecar. 324.