petrol tank removal

bmetcalf

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Too true! I use silicone spray lube on the rubbers now that you remind me.

You can tell from this where each person has hit their tank badly in years past , squirt some WD40 or some thing like down around the rubbers might help them slide.

Joe Vincent

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Well,, Thank you all for your knowledge, with a bit of lube, the flat pallette knife it popped off as easy as !!
They do look rather funny without seat and tank.

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
I think they look great without the tank and seat, you can really appreciate how slim and low they are, and the engine looks nice from above.

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
Hello all,

I wish to remove the fuel tank from my comet so as to gain access to the oil resevoir underneath.sep
I have removed all fuel and disconected fuel lines, I have removed the long bolt at the rear of tank and the two separate but different bolts at the front.
The tank seems to be stuck by the rubbers where the front bolts were - do I need to do something else here?
Secondly will the tank just lift off over the oil filler that goes through the tank or will I need to do something else?
I know these are simple questions but !!

Thanks,,

I notice you say two separate but different bolts at the front. These should be small-headed 5/16" B.S.F. threaded bolts with a 3/8" shoulder designed to compress the mounting rubber and then stop against the U.F.M. If this is not so, have it rectified! Find out what threads these bolts have as a first step. By the way, the tank rubbers go larger diameter innermost, not the way the Spares Book shows! Many years back someone in MPH suggested a bit of bicycle inner tube over the oil tank neck. After use you can affix it over the end of the silencer and your machine will sound just like a Harley.

Last edited:

vibrac

VOC Member
A quick bevel on the rubbers large diameter on one edge (Grinding wheel) plus lube assists assembly on some tanks

jim burgess

VOC Member
Well,, Thank you all for your knowledge, with a bit of lube, the flat pallette knife it popped off as easy as !!
They do look rather funny without seat and tank.
I use "red rubber grease" for reassembly.(Halfords) Watch out for the front of the tank on the steering stem, takes expensive paint off real good...
The way they look without the tank just tempts me into building a chopper....

Jim Burgess

nkt267

VOC Member
The way they look without the tank just tempts me into building a chopper....
Ex-communication and the liberal use of a rusty razor blade comes to mind.:D..john