petrol tank removal

Joe Vincent

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hello all,

I wish to remove the fuel tank from my comet so as to gain access to the oil resevoir underneath.
I have removed all fuel and disconected fuel lines, I have removed the long bolt at the rear of tank and the two seperate but different bolts at the front.
The tank seems to be stuck by the rubbers where the front bolts were - do I need to do something else here?
Secondly will the tank just lift off over the oil filler that goes through the tank or will I need to do something else?
I know these are simple questions but !!

Thanks,,

vincenttwin

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
put some tape around the oil filler neck ,to save the paint on the tanks as it will hit the neck as you pull it up and backwards., run a puttee flat knife under the rubbers and that should help .

vincenttwin

VOC Member
You can tell from this where each person has hit their tank badly in years past , squirt some WD40 or some thing like down around the rubbers might help them slide.

Jim Richardson

VOC Member
My Rap has a spacer passing under the oil tank at the rear, presumably to stop the tank halves flapping around, not sure if the Comet has one tho.

Len Matthews

VOC Member
Strange, isn't it that the tie bolt and spacer at the back of the tank was deemed unecessary on the Series D tank.

Jim Richardson

VOC Member
Wearing my D hat I would agree that the D was a greatly improved design, however if I have my C hat on I might suggest that the tie bolt had been omitted as a cost saving measure.