VOC Member
Many thanks , Lonestar,
When I worked at a Jaguar shop , In the 60s,
The Garage Owner used to walk past me every day, With his Nose in the air,
Ignorant Pig !,
His BIg Sons used to call him Sir !,
I thought I would get his Attention !, So put a 4 foot pole on a spanner,
To see if he knew anything about Cars :) ,
I was not thinking of staying there long !.

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I worked and was an apprentice in a British Engineering factory It did not make motorcycles it made electrical switchgear 11KV stuff the sort hidden behind fences in housing estates.
Goods in received raw material nuts and bolts and ceramic insulators. everything else was made in house it had a machine shop a toolroom a foundry, a plating shop, an assembly shop, a paint shop, a plastic moulding shop, a welding shop and a electrical wiring shop it was bought by a succession of companies in the seventies and asset stripped.
I doubt that an apprentice nowadays would ever get a chance to understand engineering up close like that.
Any so called factories nowadays are just a single task written large inserted between acres of Amazon and other warehouses of import distribution.

b'knighted

VOC Member
I served my apprenticeship with a third or fourth generation engineering company, run by family engineers. Much of the heavy plant, such as the 25 foot swing lathe, had been taken in war reparations. I left to gain experience with other engineering companies then returned in a senior staff position. Shortly after that we got a new MD who sadly was an accountant rather than an engineer. He found that our vertical borer which had not cost the company anything could be sold for £6000. Instant profit.
The following year we spent £25K getting the vertical boring work done by different company. The company didn’t last long after that with the massive factory site becoming a trading estate.

Marvel

VOC Member
The welding shop at Rickman Motorcycles some time in the 70’s. My Dad John Tindle bottom left.

5E03446B-892A-4C4F-B82D-384667A01069.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator: