Misc: Ignition Pazon Vs Trispark

greg brillus

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
The new BTH mags are fine, I would not say they are bullet proof just like any of these systems is not either........With normal Mk 2 cams you should be fine.........My cams have far more duration than Mk 2's and this is probably why it was spitting back at idle speeds...........This was with a new Grosset ignition system with the dual output coils as they run these as well.........As you might know the new BTH mags run separate coils externally mounted under the mag cowl.........The BTH is a CDI ignition, not a coil ignition as the other 2 are.

van drenth

VOC Member
My advice, due to very good experiance, buy and fit one pazon ignition.
At my Black Shadow, i fitted one system for twin sparks.
This all about 12 years ago and still working perfectely.
Easy starting and adjustable.
Regards,
van Drenth JC

craig

VOC Member
To retain a stock look to a Rapide or Comet.
Are there photos, not written description, of a successful TriSpark installed on Vincent twin or single?

https://www.trispark.com.au/magneto-replacement-kit-for-vincent-v-twins

Brackets and wire runs would be excellent to note,
do not need a video of kickstarting or Estarting a bike.

1624791524362.png

Last edited:

CoreyL

VOC Member
I've had both Trispark and Pazon on my Norton Commando. I liked the Trispark because it was "self-contained" (no separate black box to mount). It lasted about five years and then started not wanting to fire the bike when it was hot. The prevailing hypothesis was that having all the electronics on the trigger plate mounted inside the timing cover eventually led to failure due to the "shake and bake" effect. I have a Pazon on there now (with it's remotely-mounted black box) and, so far, it's working well.

Richard Beard

VOC Member
Years ago when I lived in UK I ran a company making 'Environmental Stress Screening" cabinets
These subjected components or assemblies to rapidly changing temperatures whilst being vibrated.
Our biggest customer manufactured guided missiles.
They had tremendous problems with printed circuit boards failing under rapid temperature changes and vibration while under power.
They spent millions on equipment and test programs to perfect the designs of the electronics.
With all due respect to Trispark they will not have subjected their E.I. to such testing due just to the costs involved.
So there is no way that I would buy an E.I. product with the electronics in the points cavity on a bike--being subject to heat and vibration in that location.
I have fitted about a dozen Triumph and BSA twins with Pazon Surefires (separate black boxes) over the years ---the earliest over ten years ago--- with not one problem.
I have fitted one of my Triumph T160s with a Trispark.
However for the Triumph/BSA triples Trispark make two variants---one with all the electronics in the points cavity and the other with a separate black box. Not surprisingly I used the latter. No problems.
Just my two cents worth of course.

craig

VOC Member
I installed a TriSpark in my P11 with no issues for thousands of miles.
I Installed a TriSpark in my Mk3 with no issues for thousands of miles.

I have had several failures of BTH magnetos, Vincent twin and single.
I have had a failure of a Pazon unit right out of box on a Vincent twin.

When returned to factory for repairs and testing, you will find no ability for temp or vibration checks.
Bth Pazon sitting in boxes waiting for me to remove trusty Lucas magnetos and try again some day.

I am very ready to try TriSpark on a Vincent twin.
P11TriSparkNoProblems.jpg

Last edited: