A: Oil Pipework OIL RELIEF VALVE

timetraveller

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
The one I helped with recently is owned by a professional old bike and car restorer. He had resorted to heat and everything else he could think of. Nothing worked until the quarter inch ball bearing and flat ended screwdriver dodge.

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
It would be interesting to know if the relief valve ever works.
How would you know? Anyway during a recent rebuild I check mine (with the cases off) and it was able to be moved - but just to be sure I fitted a new spring having first used valve grind paste to ensure the 'piston' was free and seated correctly. All flushed and washed before returning to service.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
The only problem with that idea is they are often found stuck open, Off the seat, Unless a young boy has been in there poking it with a stick !. Cheers Bill.

oexing

VOC Member
Quite frankly, my impression is that bit is near to useless. Many drivers found it stuck open, many closed, did it matter for the engine ? The delivery rate of this oil pump is not immense, nor is the "pressure" of the pulsating piston pump. I imagine the plunger would have to open or close at each shot of the pump if it were to operate as intended. There are a lot of open jets in the oil system that distribute to various places according to their sizes. So what could be wrong with just keeping the plunger closed at all times ? This is a solution that would be critical for high flow gear pumps while warming up a cold engine and cold oil, don´t see much benefit in a Vincent type. Maybe I just don´t get the point of this idea ?

Vic

Cyborg

VOC Member
Quite frankly, my impression is that bit is near to useless. Many drivers found it stuck open, many closed, did it matter for the engine ? The delivery rate of this oil pump is not immense, nor is the "pressure" of the pulsating piston pump. I imagine the plunger would have to open or close at each shot of the pump if it were to operate as intended. There are a lot of open jets in the oil system that distribute to various places according to their sizes. So what could be wrong with just keeping the plunger closed at all times ? This is a solution that would be critical for high flow gear pumps while warming up a cold engine and cold oil, don´t see much benefit in a Vincent type. Maybe I just don´t get the point of this idea ?

Vic
You are not alone....

oexing

VOC Member
After some considerations I think I´d go for a plunger spring strong enough for max. oil pressure of maybe 5 bar. That is to protect the pin that controls the motion of the oil pump piston from an - unlikely - overload while the oil is still cold. I do not know if you ever get that pressure in a Vincent engine at all so it is just a safety exercise.

Vic