A: Oil Pipework OIL RELIEF VALVE

kettlrj

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hands up who checks the post war engines oil relief valve when re-building an engine or even when the timing cover is taken off a running engine. The little so and so is difficult to get at and difficult to move if it is stuck. I am in the process of building a twin engine and the timing cover had had the oil holes stooped up prior to the cover being blasted and painted. The problem was that the cam feed oil holes had not been blocked off and so it was imperative that no blasting agent had found its way down to the relief valve. There is no obvious way to push the little bleeder out with wire, tried that, didn't work pushing the wire in from where the oil enters from the filter. The solution, the method for which may be of use to you all, is to drop a ball bearing through the big-end oil feed quill hole so that it lodges on top of the valve, use a screwdriver to push down on the ball then add another ball and keep going until the valve pops out with all the balls. Valve and hole an cover can now be cleaned to ensure free movement of the valve. If it is stuck in the open position, oil flow to the big-end cams and liners will result.

timetraveller

VOC Member
The ball bearing, in fact two in the end, was exactly the way I did it a few months ago when helping a local Vin owner. He had tried, on and off, for a couple of days but eventually admitted defeat and asked for help. I used the outer end of the quill hole as a fulcrum and all went well.

vibrac

VOC Member
Amazingly I first found this dodge on the forum back in 2007 I think we missed at least a tenth anniversary of this resource somewhere
Do we have a start date for the forum?

b'knighted

VOC Member
I think we missed at least a tenth anniversary of this resource somewhere
Do we have a start date for the forum?

I think it was the day I joined, May 7th 2007. Phil Primmer came to stay and we wrestled with registering as soon as we could.

b'knighted

VOC Member
Graham registered on 15th April, before the rest of us. He should also be able to tell us accurate dates for when the forum became accessible to the rest of us.

Last edited:

clevtrev

VOC Member
Hands up who checks the post war engines oil relief valve when re-building an engine or even when the timing cover is taken off a running engine. The little so and so is difficult to get at and difficult to move if it is stuck. I am in the process of building a twin engine and the timing cover had had the oil holes stooped up prior to the cover being blasted and painted. The problem was that the cam feed oil holes had not been blocked off and so it was imperative that no blasting agent had found its way down to the relief valve. There is no obvious way to push the little bleeder out with wire, tried that, didn't work pushing the wire in from where the oil enters from the filter. The solution, the method for which may be of use to you all, is to drop a ball bearing through the big-end oil feed quill hole so that it lodges on top of the valve, use a screwdriver to push down on the ball then add another ball and keep going until the valve pops out with all the balls. Valve and hole an cover can now be cleaned to ensure free movement of the valve. If it is stuck in the open position, oil flow to the big-end cams and liners will result.

Simply stick a 1/4" BSF tap into the thing, turn as if the put a thread in it, and you will find it will come out easily once the tap bites.

Gary Gittleson

VOC Member
Mine was quite stuck when I went through the bike two years ago. I applied heat with a propane torch. Once hot enough to boil water, I held the cover in one hand and with the other, tapped the cover with a plastic hammer against the opening, thus using the inertia of the plunger to work it out. And it did just that.
I don't know what position it was in when I first saw that it was stuck. After some careful cleaning and a bit of oil, it was nice and free in the bore.

passenger0_0

Non-VOC Member
Maybe with so many engines suffering 'stuck open/closed' or 'missing in action' oil pressure relief plungers we should be thankful that the post-war Vincent uses a non-pressurised system and the crank 'sucks in' all the oil it needs. :)