A: Oil Pipework OIL RELIEF VALVE

Cyborg

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
You may have something there. That pin gives me the willies every time I look at one. Also gives me the willies thinking about engines running around with the PR valve stuck open.

Cyborg

VOC Member
That warm wet feeling on your lower extremities would signal the need to pull over and determine the cause.

Has anyone ever made an indicator to show if and when the OP relief valve is opening?

greg brillus

VOC Member
I doubt it..............I would say when cold the pressure could be 10 pounds at most dropping off as the engine warms up. A relief valve stuck open would not be good as this would dump oil straight into the timing cover bypassing the crank and all other vitals. It is extremely rare to find one stuck open though. Perhaps if the cover was sand blasted without removing this part and the valve then jams open from there. Don't laugh, I have seen covers blasted for painting and the oilways left full of sand and the cover reinstalled..........luckily i found it before the engine was run..................:eek:

Robert Watson

VOC Member
I remember Prof Higgins doing an extensive amount of testing on oil pressures and not sure he ever got over 2 psi but that's from memory from 20 years ago......

Cyborg

VOC Member
That's another reason why I hate blasting. Prefer aircraft paint stripper and a final rinse in the dishwasher.
I had a pair of heads that were previously blasted many years ago and still had way to much shine to them. They didn't look right to me, but after doing the seats etc, I put them through the dishwasher for a final cleaning. The dish washing detergent gave them a nice natural looking patina. Call me odd, but I much prefer castings that look like the way they came from the factory.

b'knighted

VOC Member
That warm wet feeling on your lower extremities would signal the need to pull over and determine the cause.

Has anyone ever made an indicator to show if and when the OP relief valve is opening?
From experience I can say that the warm wet feeling is easier to ignore than the foot sliding off the brake pedal. Does that count as an indicator?

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
From experience I can say that the warm wet feeling is easier to ignore than the foot sliding off the brake pedal. Does that count as an indicator?
Not really - on most Vincents the oil valve is adjacent to the gear lever. Now about that colostomy bag ......