ET: Engine (Twin) oil hole

Pushrod Twin

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I believe it is the large idler. Same in the Godet 500s.

David
Sure, i get that, but is there a standard off the shelf gear to fit onto the Honda pump, or does one have a special cut? I'm sure Mr Honda wasn't forward thinking enough to use Imperial DP gear tooth dimensions. ;)

greg brillus

VOC Member
I'm pretty sure from some previous pictures by Marcus that it uses a half time pinion cut in half or similar, so it spins at the same speed as the crank. On my single racer I've elected to spin my Mikuni oil pump at the same speed as the large idler, thus it takes 3 1/3 rotations of the crank for one turn on the pump. The oil it puts out is quite amazing verses the stock plunger pump. If it saves the cam and followers then it will be a mod all worth while i'm hoping.

Pushrod Twin

VOC Member
Gotcha, that makes sense. An adapter sleeve could be easily made to fit inside the gear and over the pump shaft, doddle!

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Gotcha, that makes sense. An adapter sleeve could be easily made to fit inside the gear and over the pump shaft, doddle!
I too sliced a spare half time pinion in half to drive off the large idler. If you have the MPH technical items book, "Forty Years On" on page 120, Herve Hamon tells how did it with diagrams, etc.

Bobv07662

VOC Member
This winter I plan on servicing a loose rocker bushing on my twin. At the same time I want to remove the timing cover to make sure all is well and to make installing the pushrods a bit less difficult. My engine number is in the 2900 range, am I correct in expecting to find no oil restricting discs in the spindle feed circuits? I see some owners block the cylinder feeds totally. Shall I restrict the cam feeds or at the same time or leave them open?

Cyborg

VOC Member
This winter I plan on servicing a loose rocker bushing on my twin. At the same time I want to remove the timing cover to make sure all is well and to make installing the pushrods a bit less difficult. My engine number is in the 2900 range, am I correct in expecting to find no oil restricting discs in the spindle feed circuits? I see some owners block the cylinder feeds totally. Shall I restrict the cam feeds or at the same time or leave them open?

Heaven only knows what you might find in there. I personally believe you can block off the feeds to the cylinders and lots of folks have proved it’s ok. Usually the holes are too high or half of what is fed that way just drools back down between the liner and the case. Blocking them off sends more oil to the cams and no you don’t want to add any restriction to the cam feeds.

vibrac

VOC Member
I even hear that some people still have joggle wires in their ET100's NB wasnt there a survey about that once? anyone know what was the result?