ET: Engine (Twin) oil hole

Lanzbulldog

New Forum User
Non-VOC Member
i have got a Question to the oil hole which is in the cylinder liner. Do you know the Position from from the cylinder flange (end) to the Center of the hole?
I am wondering if it was correct in the liner which i replaced.
Regards

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Here we go I say block it up (I am a recent convert to that mantra)
if you must have such a thing its not the distance from the flange you need to worry about its keeping the hole in the barrel below the oil ring of the piston And ensuring by grove or flat that the hole in the crankcase wall connects with it

Cyborg

VOC Member
Someone might be able to give you that measurement, but it might vary slightly depending on what piston you are using. Might also vary depending on whether you comparing OEM or newly manufactured liners and the height of muffs also vary slightly. Compression plates need to be factored in as well. Best to measure the distance of the ring land from the crown of the piston. Then you measure the distance between the top of the liner and the piston crown at BDC and add the two measurements. Make sure when you dry assemble the cylinder and piston (easier to do without rings installed) you install the compression plate if you intend to use one or add the compression plate/gasket thickness to your total. Personally I would be more worried about the oil hole feeding oil above the oil ring into the second ring as that’s what I have found on more than one occasion. Then as mentioned, there is making sure the hole (or a little trench leading to the hole) lines up with the feed hole on the case, but I will add to that.... the entire thing may be pretty much redundant if there is much in the way of clearance between the liner and the case. That number seems to be all over the map as well. I put the oil holes in, but not sure I will bother assuming there is a next time.
Hope this all make sense... breaking my rule of not posting before finishing my first cup of coffee.

davidd

VOC Member
One other item you may want to explore is how tight the cylinder liner is to the crankcase bore. I tend to use a lot of clearance so the crankcase does not pinch and narrow the cylinder bore. If that clearance between the liner and crankcase is very tight the oil will likely flow through the cylinder hole to the inside of the cylinder (with luck, below the oil ring). As that liner to crankcase clearance increases, the oil simply spills into the crankcase and never reaches its intended destination. If this is the case, you are much better off directing that oil to the cams or the crank by blocking the hole that delivers the oil to the piston skirt.

David

erik

VOC Member
I blocked the hole in the Timing side cover of my Comet and rapide.No Problem.Erik

998cc

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Me too. I cut a suitable disk from a discarded drink can and used that in place of the metering disk

Blocking mine off tomorrow while the timing cover is off.

I assume the cams will benefit from some extra oil in the spindles. Come to think of it, after the cyl feeds are blocked off, has anyone considered reducing the size of the oil feed jet in the timing cover? Would doing this defer more oil to the big end?

~998cc

passenger0_0

Non-VOC Member
The big end takes what it needs first before the oil crawls up hill in the timing cover so I wouldn't bother.
Previously I have removed the jet completely with no negative effects.