FT: Frame (Twin) Nylock nuts

danno

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi
After having my number plate mount shake loose and fall off my C Rapide, just wondering if anyone uses nylock nuts or other locking methods for fasteners.
I find I do need to go round the bike often to check all the bolts for tightness.
Any help appreciated.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hi
After having my number plate mount shake loose and fall off my C Rapide, just wondering if anyone uses nylock nuts or other locking methods for fasteners.
I find I do need to go round the bike often to check all the bolts for tightness.
Any help appreciated.
Yes, When ever I can, Always a good idea. Cheers Bill.

erik

VOC Member
I use pop-rivets!But we have a different size of the number plates here in Germany.

erik

VOC Member
Orkney 133.JPG

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Yes, When ever I can, Always a good idea. Cheers Bill.
In most towns the UK we have hardware stores such as Screwfix and Toolstation that stock nut bolts, screws, etc. You can buy, for instance, 6mm stainless nyloc nuts for less than 4 pence each in a bags of 100. I usually buy stainless nuts, bolts and washers like this so I always have some "in stock". You won't find any Imperial threads such as BSF or Cycle but quite a few bolts on a Vincent can be replaced cheaply with stainless metric. If I need stainless Imperial I get them at Classic shows or autojumbles where there are usully several stalls selling, at a premium, this kind of hardware.
I hope I don't get drummed out of the club for using metric or stainless fixing on my Rapide. :eek:Following this revelation, I will be hiding behind the settee if I hear the originality Gestapo banging on my door.;)

vibrac

VOC Member
BSF nylocks are an easy buy
What I really would like is a source of aircraft type alloy BSF nuts at a reasonable price I am contemplating buying some suitable hexagon alloy bar....
As for metric I am sometimes guilty but I pay the price with a duplication of spanners, but what is an anethema is damm A/F

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
In most towns the UK we have hardware stores such as Screwfix and Toolstation that stock nut bolts, screws, etc. You can buy, for instance, 6mm stainless nyloc nuts for less than 4 pence each in a bags of 100. I usually buy stainless nuts, bolts and washers like this so I always have some "in stock". You won't find any Imperial threads such as BSF or Cycle but quite a few bolts on a Vincent can be replaced cheaply with stainless metric. If I need stainless Imperial I get them at Classic shows or autojumbles where there are usully several stalls selling, at a premium, this kind of hardware.
I hope I don't get drummed out of the club for using metric or stainless fixing on my Rapide. :eek:Following this revelation, I will be hiding behind the settee if I hear the originality Gestapo banging on my door.;)
I too like the stainless stuff, Most of it metric, But I do worry about breakage, Like happened to my Comet top
gearbox bolt, 1/2" !!. Cheers Bill.