FT: Frame (Twin) Nylock nuts

Bill Thomas

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Also stainless rear stays, There is no hope for me :) , Fitted on the inside.

Attachments

• IMG_20191021_175447 (4).jpg
    IMG_20191021_175447 (4).jpg
    372.5 KB · Views: 18

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
I spent most of my apprenticeship hunting for S/S in the Devonport Dockyard and making all external nuts and bolts in stainless as living on the cliff edge with salt spray over everything it played havoc with the cosmetics. The only real trouble I've had with loose nuts and bolts is the drum sprocket on the "A" back wheel of Old Harry, last time it went it was while in Christchurch NZ two days of Russel Byfield running me around and the use of his rented out bike shop fixed it and haven't had a loose nut since. Combination of Allan screws from drum outwards spring washers Lok-tite and nylock nuts with 0.025" clearance between torque arm and bolt ends.
M6 thread in a 3/16 Whit nut for speedo mountings. Or it could be 0,BA .
bananaman.

danno

Non-VOC Member
In most towns the UK we have hardware stores such as Screwfix and Toolstation that stock nut bolts, screws, etc. You can buy, for instance, 6mm stainless nyloc nuts for less than 4 pence each in a bags of 100. I usually buy stainless nuts, bolts and washers like this so I always have some "in stock". You won't find any Imperial threads such as BSF or Cycle but quite a few bolts on a Vincent can be replaced cheaply with stainless metric. If I need stainless Imperial I get them at Classic shows or autojumbles where there are usully several stalls selling, at a premium, this kind of hardware.
I hope I don't get drummed out of the club for using metric or stainless fixing on my Rapide. :eek:Following this revelation, I will be hiding behind the settee if I hear the originality Gestapo banging on my door.;)

Thanks
I was hoping to replace the nuts with Nylock but like you say, metric is more widely
available.
Used to frequent the autojumbles and there’d always be a useful stainless fastener stall.
One of the big shows and (A10 rally) relocated and haven’t been since.

I find the Imperial or whatever sizes a bit confusing being used to metric but I do need to get the toolkit back as standard.
Two of the same size spanner are required sometimes such as when tightening the kickstart clamp bolt which has a habit of loosing grip.

Last edited:

oexing

VOC Member
I confess having changed most of the screws and bolts to metric, using lots of helicoils when necessary. No wish to deal with funny imperial sizes of various standards - a real mess - and a PITA to find fasteners today in those standards at reasonable prices. In 20 or 30 years nobody will likely care about what we have built into our bikes when you won´t be able to use them on the road then. Environmentalists will see to that or so it seems today.
As to thread locking, I don´t care about nylocs, don´t like the looks of them and tensile strength is not always known about these. Instead I apply some Loctite in carefully chosen types according to my desired safety requirements. When pairing SS screws with SS nuts you will definitely apply Loctite or alternatively anti-seize at all times on threads. Otherwise you´d be getting seizures in the lot and loads of foul words later.

Vic

vibrac

VOC Member
I confess having changed most of the screws and bolts to metric, using lots of helicoils when necessary. No wish to deal with funny imperial sizes of various standards - a real mess - and a PITA to find fasteners today in those standards at reasonable prices. In 20 or 30 years nobody will likely care about what we have built into our bikes when you won´t be able to use them on the road then. Environmentalists will see to that or so it seems today.
As to thread locking, I don´t care about nylocs, don´t like the looks of them and tensile strength is not always known about these. Instead I apply some Loctite in carefully chosen types according to my desired safety requirements. When pairing SS screws with SS nuts you will definitely apply Loctite or alternatively anti-seize at all times on threads. Otherwise you´d be getting seizures in the lot and loads of foul words later.

Vic
Just stop all this defeatist nonsense have a look at Carbon Engineering Ltd a much more sensible solution to making current transport systems zero carbon (a zero carbon Vincent!!!) and with some tweeking negative carbon for the world now that will upset the greens and the oil companies

Gordon Ryley

VOC Member
Vulcans used to vibrate more than Vincents but I do not remember their lock nuts coming
loose or corroding too often but earlier fibre lock nuts a little different. Being shot down or
crashing did not help the nuts, the red lanoline kept them in place. For competition a must or
wire lock even dome nuts.

Last edited by a moderator: