Now what's that for? No 2

Peter Stokes

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
So...is it to remove something which is not tightly in, but just fiddly to get hold of. A magneto camring on a manual mag? Random thoughts! Good puzzle.

Pete

redbloke1956

Non-VOC Member
a wigwam for a gooses bridle? (that was what me mum would say when i asked a stupid question....I heard it a LOT) good puzzle

A_HRD

VOC Member
So it fits in a std bore cylinder - for what purpose I have no idea.

I suspect my bike would run better without it!

Peter B
Bristol, UK.

Peter Stokes

VOC Member
If it is the same size as a cylinder bore, then that might not be a coincidence. Is it for expanding inside the top of the bore, so allowing the assembly to be hung up for painting?

But then, why would it need to be hung up!

Last edited:

Howard

VOC Member
It's for pulling cylinders off crankcases without breaking the fins (when you "forget" to slacken the crankcase bolts).

H

mercurycrest

VOC Member
Holds the cylinder up so's you can pop out the wristpin and not disturb the rings location when you remove the cylinder and piston to retrieve that missing socket?

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
Howard is the winner. It is a tool for lifting your cylinders by using the piston to push up on the tool while it is wedged in the bore.

The one in the picture belongs to Bill Easter, but he made his own by copying one he saw over at Mike Parti's shop. Whether Mike invented it or not, I don't know.

Well done, Howard.