Norvin Single race bike first run

greg brillus

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Our Dog is the Border Collie.......he goes nuts with any bike........I have to lock him in the back of my van if i go out for a road test.......Our driveway is about 70 meters long and slightly uphill.......when the postman comes on his CT 110 by the time the dog gets to the top of the driveway.......he is airborne........:)

greg brillus

VOC Member
The Manx engines look heavy, even if their castings are magnesium.......the ESO engine I removed weighted in at 30 kg's, this with magneto but no carby......... I assumed the Vincent single engine would be at least this much and I can't remember an exact figure, but it was more like 33 or 35 kg's.........Because I am using a crank fired ignition there is no magneto, or any extra gearing to drive it in the timing chest........This alone would be quite a weight saving.........So the extras on the engine are, the aux oil pump and its small drive gears, and the extra size of the bore and head fins of the larger top end kit.........The front brake is a replica Ceriani with magnesium brake plates and the rear hub/brake is off a mid 60's Yamaha single leading 7" drum with a billet sprocket carrier and cush drive on the left side and the brake on the right.........This hub is quite light verses the Triumph conical hub it had before, as it is no where near as wide.......... I should mention that most all bolts and studs are Titanium.........That alone is a 50% saving over steel items.........

greg brillus

VOC Member
Thanks David......I went through the process of weighing most all the parts on my engine, but I must have missed something.........I have another big bore 600 engine to build soon so I will check it when it is together. At any rate, I was just happy to keep the overall weight to what it was with the old engine..........Now it comes down to my ability to pedal it fast enough around the race track.

Dave Hulstone

VOC Member
Hi Greg. Good to see Jed the border collie unable to contain his excitement. He’s seen the entire build process I’m guessing so I can’t blame him. I’m looking forward to seeing it myself next month. The ignition timing? I’ve never known a twin spark run an advance with a 3 in front of it? I remember David D telling me he was at somewhere around 24 degrees with his grey flash. is this because of your unique set up? Or because it’s on Methanol? Long stroke? Excuse my ignorance. I’m at 26/2 with mine using a Grosset ignition.

greg brillus

VOC Member
Methanol is much slower burning than petrol fuels.....The timing is backed off to around 8 initial and 33 full advance........The float level was also too high and this would add to a rich mixture........My guess is the timing will probably start at 10 then ramp up quite quickly to a full figure of 28 to 30 degrees........I might even play around with a TPS (throttle position sensor) at some point to give better torque out of the corners........You can do that with the Ignitech ignition, plus many more features if wanted.