No Newton Metre on Torque Wrench

Bill Thomas

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Funny , I was a motor mechanic most of my life,
And I never really trusted Torque wrenches,
I used them, But often thought , " That's Enough ", Before the last click !.
When some engines get older, They won't take the same settings that they did when new,
Some stretch bolts should be changed every time,
But they are not all like that.
Some times I would set the wrench at a lower rate , And see how it felt.

ClassicBiker

VOC Member
I keep the first link on my smart phone and on my favorites on my computers (work and personal) for quick conversions in case someone asks.
Poking around on that link will quickly lead you to the link below for other conversions, in this case conversion of torques from one set of units to another.
Steven

danno

Non-VOC Member
Funny , I was a motor mechanic most of my life,
And I never really trusted Torque wrenches,
I used them, But often thought , " That's Enough ", Before the last click !.
When some engines get older, They won't take the same settings that they did when new,
Some stretch bolts should be changed every time,
But they are not all like that.
Some times I would set the wrench at a lower rate , And see how it felt.
Yes.
Most of the time I just tighten by feel even though the Haynes manuals list the torque wrench settings.
The wrench I have lacks the fine adjustment ability and Nm but, as mentioned above, I could make a note of the equivalent measurement in Kg/m.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I never trusted hammer guns either,
Funny, You can get a FEEL off them also !,
Always check your car wheels after new tyres,
To make sure your road spanner can undo them !,
And tyre pressures, Mine were 10 lb over last time !.
Cheers Bill.

danno

Non-VOC Member
Also make sure the wheel comes off.
I had a puncture on my car in a local supermarket carpark.
Had a perfectly good spare but the wheel
was stuck on due to corrosion.
Happens when they're left out.
I now smear a bit of copperslip between the surfaces.

vibrac

VOC Member
I only use the Torque wrench on one item on the Vin and thats the head nuts I pull them up to 28 leave them all night then up to 32 the next day On the final pull if I slow down my pull as I reach the break point it occurs earlier than if I maintain a steady pull but I 'feel' the tension better, certainly as I am using alloy head nuts ( weight, weight, weight, thanks Marcus) that's how I did them this time.

danno

Non-VOC Member
I only use the Torque wrench on one item on the Vin and thats the head nuts
Yes. Given the amount of times I need a torque wrench on my bikes, I’ll jot down the equivalent amount in KG/m.
Not sure if wrenches can lose accuracy as I see that they can be calibrated. More important I would think that the bolts, say on a cylinder head are given the same amount of torque rather than the exact amount.

oexing

VOC Member
Just to spoil your illusions, torque wrenches don´t exactly measure torque as one would believe. These tools only show applied friction when doing up bolts and nuts, with their underhead and thread friction conditions. The numbers are extremely dependend on the lubrication of mating faces. So there are very rare moments when I really get my torque wrench out, like for a car engine head . Never used that on mc parts. Again, my theory, most bolts were fu*** up with torque wrenches,not by using standard spanners.

Vic

dapleb

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hello Danno

The choice of torque wrench manufacturer is far more simple than the choice of supplier as many are rebranded.

In general, I would avoid most shiny silver wrenches! These include Sealey/Premier, Draper (sometimes a shiny silver torque wrench repainted black), Teng (a shiny silver torque wrench repainted red and dull silver), GS and Lidl etc. They tend to drift out of calibration quite easily with moderate to high use and the measurement values have more variation. They are also often batch calibrated when manufactured and it is completely possible for these to be inaccurate from new! The shiny silver torque wrench you have pictured, I cannot see clearly as I only have telephone screen but it looks like a Britool design (possibly rebranded or unbranded)...so out of the shiny silver options it's got potential for being ok or at least saved by calibration.

Snap-On an exception to the shiny silver options but your "not too pricey" would rule these out. I find them in general reliable when tested and accurate throughout the range even with very high useage.

Britool AVT EVT HVT style. I find these awkward to adjust for frequent use, especially the larger sizes. Most do not have a ratchet style head so are also not the easiest to get the correct positioning. They tend to read high at the low end of the scale and low at the high end of the scale. They do not drift out of calibration as easily as the shiny silver category even with high use.

Norbar are a great option with many rebranded options available. They are now (since around 2018) owned by Snap On. Rebrands include Sykes Pickavant Motorq range and Halfords among others. They have a good level of accuracy and are generally reliable even with high use.

So Halfords is a great option for a reliable, not too pricey torque wrench, especially if you can obtain a "Trade card". They also come with a lifetime warranty (excluding calibration). I prefer the previous models that Halfords released rather than the new range (rebranded Norbar professional range).

There are of course other brands and manufacturers including my favourite Stahlwille, beautifully made, very simple to adjust and highly accurate...but not cheap.

Other general thoughts about torque wrenches.

Make sure that the wrench is working well within it scale limits. They tend to become less accurate at the extremes of the scale, particularly with the cheaper brands.

Exercise the wrench a few times before use particularly with the cheaper brands or if infrequently used. For example a shiny silver torque wrench may read 10% out on the first pull, 5% out on the second pull and 3% out on the third..and then the readings will be more consistent thereafter.

Wind your torque wrench off after use, just to the end of the numerical scale to release spring tension, no need to keep winding until it meets the stop as this can do more harm than good.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I have worked in lots of Garages, Where the younger " Mechanics " Have left the Tool wound up !,
Can't do it any good.