F: Frame Need Plans For Installing Kawasaki Style Discs on Series C

ClassicBiker

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I've clicked on everything I can possibly find an do not know how to print the ariticle-drawing out? If we can't print them it will really be a problem using them. Please advise. Thanks for all the work.
Right mouse button click on the image, select "open image in new tab". Go to the new tab. Hold down the "ctrl" key then press the P key. Destination will be your printer of choice, Layout in landscape will enlarge it to fit whatever size sheet of paper your printer has. You will need to do this for each drawing individually.
Hope this helps.
Steven

1648837206736.png

oexing

VOC Member
Seems there are a few HD brake discs which could easily be drilled for the Vincent hub. That hub has 69,5mm pitch circle diameter 5 holes 5/16", but 8mm will do, so a HD disc with a 56.4 mm hole in the center should be suitable for 5 new holes at Vincent sizes. Have a look at a selection of discs below when thinking about that mod. They got the rest of hydraulics as well. Not my idea of Vincents , does not look right to me in the spirit of the early post war years.

Vic

Russell Kemp

VOC Member
I fitted CBR 600 discs & calipers with braided brake lines on my shadow and the brakes were as good as my Suzuki V-Strom. I also had a CB550 disc on the rear. Look at my profile photo and you will see that my shadow was far from standard but was a riders bike. As for not looking right, I think that any mods that keep the bike on the road and used are better than a bike that looks original and parked in a museum. On a side not my Shadow that I sold after my big crash in 2010 has been restored to a standard looking bike and has been off the road since 2011, a sad end to a Vincent that used to do 20,000 miles a year.

Chris Launders

VOC Member
Seems there are a few HD brake discs which could easily be drilled for the Vincent hub. That hub has 69,5mm pitch circle diameter 5 holes 5/16", but 8mm will do, so a HD disc with a 56.4 mm hole in the center should be suitable for 5 new holes at Vincent sizes. Have a look at a selection of discs below when thinking about that mod. They got the rest of hydraulics as well. Not my idea of Vincents , does not look right to me in the spirit of the early post war years.

Vic

HD discs are normally flat, you need somewhere around 1" offset to be able to accommodate calipers and the speedo drive.

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
HD discs are normally flat, you need somewhere around 1" offset to be able to accommodate calipers and the speedo drive.
The offset of the discs is important to clearance issues. I'm not sure of the offset on the Kawasaki disc I used. I'll have a measure when I'm in the garage. I think there is a note in my write up to check clearance of the lengths of fixing bolts etc. I remember on a first fix test that there was an occasional 'pinging' noise when I spun the wheel and this was the end of a bolt 'just' catching one of the spokes.

oexing

VOC Member
Regarding offset, no clue myself about that, spacers could be made to suit. The point was if discs were available without drilling the original hub, which I´d believe from looking into Aliexpress.
I am not an extremist on originality of classic bikes - as most will know by now. Just I see the discrepancy in style of assembled components when these come from very different times, like disc brakes on early 50ties classics. I got a genuine 250 mm Fontana on the shelf but don´t use it on a Vincent as it is minimum 20 years too young. It just does not look right on a girder fork classic. Yes, I do lots of mods that don´t spoil the classic looks and spirit - but then, anybody can do as he likes his bike.

Vic

Chris Launders

VOC Member
Regarding offset, no clue myself about that, spacers could be made to suit. The point was if discs were available without drilling the original hub, which I´d believe from looking into Aliexpress.
I am not an extremist on originality of classic bikes - as most will know by now. Just I see the discrepancy in style of assembled components when these come from very different times, like disc brakes on early 50ties classics. I got a genuine 250 mm Fontana on the shelf but don´t use it on a Vincent as it is minimum 20 years too young. It just does not look right on a girder fork classic. Yes, I do lots of mods that don´t spoil the classic looks and spirit - but then, anybody can do as he likes his bike.

Vic
I don't think any of these conversions rely on modifying the hub, the Honda ones I've used needed the centre enlarging and 5 new holes drilling to match the standard Vincent hub.

vibrac

VOC Member
Sometimes the rules are worth reading
Brakes: must be as fitted to the original machine. Original brake plates may be modified to change from single leading shoe to twin leading shoe operation. The fitting of air scoops is allowed, and brake lining material is free.
1648916972372.png