F: Frame Need Plans For Installing Kawasaki Style Discs on Series C

CarlHungness

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
A few years ago I believe it may have been Ian Savage who forwarded the plans to me to fit Kawasaki style disc brakes to the front of my Series C. The plans included a precise drawing of the bracket(s) necessary to hold the calipers and an explanation of where to grind said bracket so it could be bolted on. I followed all of the instructions and did install the Kawasaki style calipers (do not recall what year calipers), and attendant rotors, which had to be re-drilled to fit the Vincent hub. The conversion is positively the best mod I've ever made to my bike which includes longer front and rear springs, updated shocks, B-TH mag, McDouglator, turn signals inside my Britax bar, and touring handlebars. I saved the plans on my old computer but they failed to transfer to the new one and I'd sure like to have a set again to be able to pass them on to the next man.
As I recall the plans noted that it was not possible to fit the stock speedo drive and it needed one of the extended ones. Somer Hooker sent me an extended drive which got lost in the mail. I was able to actually fit the stock drive, just, so I'd like to see the plans again. I wish I had put the discs on years before, they transformed the machine into a much safer vehicle, and there was no butchering of stock parts, it was a bolt on operation. I had an outer cover 'engine turned' as we say here in the states and the whole plot came out looking pretty professional. Thus if anyone has a copy of the plans I'd sure appreciate having them. My e mail is carlhungness@frontier.com I do not recall seeing all of the plans printed in the MPH either, something which should be rectified.

Attachments

• CIMG0011.JPG
    CIMG0011.JPG
    354 KB · Views: 43
  • CIMG0015.JPG
    CIMG0015.JPG
    236 KB · Views: 43
  • CIMG0009.JPG
    CIMG0009.JPG
    283.7 KB · Views: 39
  • Vin Eng T.jpg
    Vin Eng T.jpg
    260.5 KB · Views: 42

Ian Savage

VOC Vice President
VOC Member
Before we go any further I must give full credit to Brian Chapman, yes the mouse man, for it was he who designed this disc conversion.
I will have a dig and find the notes I made and send them to you Carl.
Ian

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Before we go any further I must give full credit to Brian Chapman, yes the mouse man, for it was he who designed this disc conversion.
I will have a dig and find the notes I made and send them to you Carl.
Ian
I have done this conversion and agree that it is one of the best mods I have done to my Rapide. The great Brian Chapman did all the leg work in the first place figuring out what would fit and Ian supplied me with his information. I should have lots of photographs and information about how I did it. If I can find the information I will start a thread and post it.

erik

VOC Member
To my mind you can find real good drumbrake conversions so that a disc brake on a vintage bike can be avoided.And especially if you don`t have the mod. steer. stem you make your bike more dangerous to ride! Regards Erik

CarlHungness

VOC Member
Yes, I do seem to recall that it was Brian Chapman who put together the original design, beautifully
simple. As noted, the plans sure should be preserved in the MPH one day too.

CarlHungness

VOC Member
I have done this conversion and agree that it is one of the best mods I have done to my Rapide. The great Brian Chapman did all the leg work in the first place figuring out what would fit and Ian supplied me with his information. I should have lots of photographs and information about how I did it. If I can find the information I will start a thread and post it.
The single most important part of the conversion I believe is the drawing of the bracket that holds the calipers. It is spot on and bolts directly to the Girdraulics, so if you can find that drawing and the notes that go along with it (the bracket must be ground slightly) that would sure be a help. Photos won't do the job.

danno

Non-VOC Member
My Rapide C could do with this mod. Brakes are very weak but not sure if front wheel would need to be changed.
Using original 20".