Motorcycle Restorations Ltd

greg brillus

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Very easy to see why these busineses go broke.......Difficult to find skilled people, costs of parts, painting, plating all gone through the roof.........very difficult to make any money from it.........I only manage because I work from home in my shed.........if I had the overheads of paying rent and other costs for a proper workshop in an industrial area, i don't think it would survive either.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Depressing news for us guys that can manage routine maintenance, but are not engineers with engineering equipment, we were/are reliant on businesses that either no longer exist, or are to busy to take on any more work, fingers crossed my main bearings don’t walk anytime soon, or the valve guides don’t wear oversize etc. etc.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Tales such as this have happened before haven't they?

I remember one paint sprayer locally who passed away, and the widow of the person then started selling items that weren't even his!
Did his christian name begin with B and his surname begin with D, if so I nearly lost a couple fuel tanks to him, he took an eternity in doing what he said would take few weeks, in the end I said “forget it, I will come and collect them, I simply am not prepared to wait any longer” miraculously they got done quickly then. All I will say is his work was very very good, A good friend of mine told me he lost a Steib sidecar when the guy passed.

G

Graham Smith

Did his christian name begin with B and his surname begin with D, if so I nearly lost a couple fuel tanks to him, he took an eternity in doing what he said would take few weeks, in the end I said “forget it, I will come and collect them, I simply am not prepared to wait any longer” miraculously they got done quickly then. All I will say is his work was very very good, A good friend of mine told me he lost a Steib sidecar when the guy passed.
Yes, that’s him - you were lucky Peter.

Bill Cannon

VOC Member
Very easy to see why these busineses go broke.......Difficult to find skilled people, costs of parts, painting, plating all gone through the roof.........very difficult to make any money from it.........I only manage because I work from home in my shed.........if I had the overheads of paying rent and other costs for a proper workshop in an industrial area, i don't think it would survive either.
Not sure if that applies in this case Greg. I was talking to the ex-technician who kindly gave up his time to sort out the mess. It is fairly clear that the business was always very busy but the owner had been milking the profits and he recently bought a big house in the next village to us!

greg brillus

VOC Member
Bill it was bad enough when the neighbours complaned about the noise from the new Lambo 4 x 4 I just bought the misses...........But it really gets on my nerves when they complain about the smell of kero when we use our bizz jet on the occasinal weekend trip abroad....... I mean really.........dont these people have a life........

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
You jest Greg, but a new couple moved into the close a couple of years back, to get to know everybody they threw a low key drinks and nibbles party for all the residents in the close, most of the people tolerate my strange ways, some even attempt to show a passing interest, so the new Guy, John, greets me with “ Hi Pete and Sue, come in, what can I get you to drink, oh by the way, your motorbikes smell!” What can one say, to me its perfume!

Hugo Myatt

VOC Member
You jest Greg, but a new couple moved into the close a couple of years back, to get to know everybody they threw a low key drinks and nibbles party for all the residents in the close, most of the people tolerate my strange ways, some even attempt to show a passing interest, so the new Guy, John, greets me with “ Hi Pete and Sue, come in, what can I get you to drink, oh by the way, your motorbikes smell!” What can one say, to me its perfume!
Pete, you should have quoted Dr. Johnson "No sir, you smell, the bikes stink."