E: Engine More Adventures with the Comet

oexing

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Megacycle got the Mk 1 and 2 on stock. My guess they kept the improved Andrews profile that I had 30 years ago and these look very good.

P1070238.JPG

P1040586.JPG

P1040594.JPG

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Bill, Looks like I have secreted the cam followers somewhere where I cannot find them, most unlikely that I would have chucked them, but they were severely worn, I have though been able to lay my hands on the worn out rocker bearing and pin along with the modified rocker arm. I know for a fact that this bike was purchased by a friend of mine way back in 1965 from Conway Motors in Goldhawk Road, it does make you wonder what sort of pre sale checks were carried out, or did they just sell them as they came in and then wash their hands of them, I purchased the bike of my mate also in 1965, do you think I have any comeback on Conway Motors now under the trade descriptions act? no I thought not!
IMG_4655.JPG

oexing

VOC Member
Needle rollers, yes, the crowded kind, in the camshafts. But you´d have to have suitable inner diameters for suitable numbers of needles so minimal end play first to last needle. This was allright with new Andrews cams and honed bores. Otherwise it is even more of a lengthy job to get right. Caged needle bearings would not be my choice, a lot less load factor.
Did likewise with the rocker bearings, allright, I am a bit of a weirdo possibly. But did not like to have alu for plain bearing in there. But I cannot provide some prove of mileage as I need a year or two for getting two Rapides on the road after maybe half a century in pieces in Argentina.

Vic
P1040844.JPG

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Peter, I thought my Memory was not good , But I remember someone saying,
Many years ago , That loss of adjustment was not the cams,
I never thought any more about it , As whenever we have a disaster you have to look at everything.

As for Conways in the 60s, It was a Dump !, As anyone who went there said,
The Bikes were, "As is " , Never cleaned, The whole area was Bad back then,
They now say it's Trendy !, Lots of money, I have not been in London for about 25 years,
And I Don't miss it.

Cyborg

VOC Member
Needle rollers, yes, the crowded kind, in the camshafts. But you´d have to have suitable inner diameters for suitable numbers of needles so minimal end play first to last needle. This was allright with new Andrews cams and honed bores. Otherwise it is even more of a lengthy job to get right. Caged needle bearings would not be my choice, a lot less load factor.
Did likewise with the rocker bearings, allright, I am a bit of a weirdo possibly. But did not like to have alu for plain bearing in there. But I cannot provide some prove of mileage as I need a year or two for getting two Rapides on the road after maybe half a century in pieces in Argentina.

Vic
View attachment 39040

Yes you are a little odd.....
What does the little grub screw do? Locking the two pieces of the ET26/1 together?

oexing

VOC Member
The grub screws press onto pieces of alu rod which press onto lengths of o-rings. These squeeze between the bottom and top alu rocker bearings to lock the lot in the bearing tunnel - or so I hope to achieve. I had to bore all tunnels a lot to get roundness after heavy wear. So after this I imagine to stop any motion and wear in there.

Vic
P1050415.JPG

timetraveller

VOC Member
Be careful with the grub screws Vic. Years ago there was a mod which required a hole to be drilled in the lower part of the rocker bush along its length. This had two diameters. A small one all the way through and a larger one to take a 2BA (if I remember correctly) grub screw. A saw cut was then made all along the length of the hole and a grub screw put into the outer facing end of the hole. When this grub screw was tightened it forced the rocker bush outwards so that it expanded and gripped the inside of the tunnel. This would work well enough for normal road use but a few quick burst of high revs at either a sprint or a speed trial and the grub screw would work its way outwards and drop into the timing gears. You will need to find some way of ensuring that the grub screws cannot fall out.

Cyborg

VOC Member
Definitely a different approach. As long as it remains snug enough to keep the rocker bearing forced up against the top of the tunnel it should be ok. Was there a reason you didn’t want to use the modified rocker feed bolts? Although it does seem like one has to remove a fair amount of material off the rocker for the modified feed nut to clear.