FF: Forks Modified Steering Stem

bmetcalf

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Girdraulics sure have a lot of parts! My steering head bearings were in great shape after 20 years of use, although I won't admit how few miles that covered. The race on my old stem just took a little prying to get off.

0606171714.jpg

greg brillus

VOC Member
A small tip ........when reassembling........you see those sharp edges on the spindles immediately behind the 7/16 BSF thread.......the shoulder of the start of the spindle.......I chamfer that sharp edge with a linishing belt or in the lathe if you have one. This makes assembly much easier and saves taking gouges out of the blades and so on when the spindles are passed back through. No need to go crazy with it, just a nice bevel will do. Also check the condition of the "Pad bolts" as these are often over tightened and the small cutaway gets distorted, this causes the spindle to jam up when you try to slide the spindle through. Again I just carefully linish off any of these high spots and good to go........Use a small smear of grease and cover these parts.....this will stop them rusting up if they are original ones and help with the assembly as well as down the track at some later date. Put a light smear of grease on the new stem tube too, or else it will rust, and on the new stem kits I have been giving all the new "Concentric" parts a light smear of grease just before final assembly, as this too will help stop things from seizing up if disassembly is needed at some point. Cheers............Greg.

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
With the modified stem there is no eccentric with its figure 8 shims to cope with so no real need for the 'bullets'.

It was my experience however that the use of a 'bullet' was a great aid in fitting the final spindle when installing the modified head stem as it allowed me to 'ease' it into place where the alignment of the spindle holes/bearings was not 100% perfect. Much better than a mash hammer.

.... Martyn

greg brillus

VOC Member
I use the bullet tool for assembling original eccentrics, as Martyn said........no need on the modified stem version.......We should all be gathering as many Bullets as we can, with the bad things happening around the world......we will all need to arm ourselves.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
I have a .061" / 1.55mm piece of stainless steel, would that be thick enough for the hydraulic steering damper bracket attached to the stem or should I look for something thicker?

vibrac

VOC Member
I keep well away from the steering stem for my damper front head bolt to spring box top seems the best