FF: Forks Modified Steering Stem

timetraveller

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
What locates the 7mm wide ball bearings side to side in the width of the eye?

They are a one thou interference fit in the eyes of the lower link. If you look at the washers/spacers at each side of the bearings you will find that on their inner faces they have a 0.1 mm raised ring which interfaces with the central part of the ball races and provides clearance from the outer race of the ball races. When I assemble them for people I first of all push the ball races into the eye with the outer spacer/washer/spindle (that ensures that they are concentric) and on the inside I put the inner spacer/washer and some spacers on the outside of that inner space and then press the whole lot together. This ensures that both ball races are tight up against each other, and in line, and are about 0.1 mm in from each side. A word of warning here. Not all eyes are the same width so when pressing the ball races into place inspect to make sure that there is an equal gap at each side between the sides of the eyes and the space washers. You will find that each kit is supplied with three stainless steel shims at each side. The shims have thicknesses of 0.5 mm , 0.3 mm and 0.1 mm. These fit over the spindle of the concentrics and can be fitted either inside the spacer/washers or between the lower motion block of the steering head and the inner spacer/washer at each side.
My normal procedure is to push the bearings in as above and then assemble the lower link with the bearings onto the lower motion block. Once this is done one can check how much space is left in total between the lower motion block and one side of the lower link with the other side pushed up hard against the motion block. Once the gap at one side had been measured one knows how much shimming is needed and this can be split equally between the two sides. The idea is that once the bolts through each concentric have been fully tightened the lower link should be free to swing when the steering head is swung from side to side. If it is not free then you are nipping the eyes in too tight and you must release one side and inert an extra shim. You will find it much easier to put the shims inside, between the inner washer/spacer and the bearings, rather then between that and the lower motion block.
I have only done three of these so far but Greg has done about twenty so he might be able to tell you just how bad the variations in dimensions from one lower link to another are. From the three which I have done so far I have not found it necessary to use more shims than are supplied and I have asked Greg and he normally does not have to use all six shims.
Any more questions then please ask.

greg brillus

VOC Member
Due to the limited room available, I doubt there is a bearing made that has dimensions that would suit. Having two bearings per side gives better strength and a good purchase in each link eye. Because the bearings are sealed, the maintenance is zero and setting them up on the lower block of the stem is quite easy in comparison to the original set up. I am not sure of the longevity of the bearings given the hammering effect on the suspension, but I am hopeful they survive.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
I did some filing on the upper link to give clearance for the AVO shock. At full extension, the shroud was just touching the link, so this should be enough, unless the experienced "TT Girdraulic" fitters say more is needed.
Filing a.jpg

Filing b.jpg

timetraveller

VOC Member
It looks about right to me but it is not too difficult a job to check it out. I found that I had to go further round the cylinder of the top link than I had expected, i.e. down and round, in order to get the clearance right to the very lowest part of the fork travel. Everything can be assembled and then the fork legs dropped to the lowest position that they can go. That is limited by the damper length and the length of the eyebolts used below the damper. If there is still contact being made then it only needs the top rear spindle removed and the fork tops tilted forwards to allow access for a bit more metal removal. I used a drum sander in an electric drill, which is easy to control and makes the work easy. Final painting is best done off the bike. Incidentally some series 'D' top links already have a recess machined out in the correct place but whether they give enough clearance I don't know.

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I did some filing on the upper link to give clearance for the AVO shock. At full extension, the shroud was just touching the link, so this should be enough, unless the experienced "TT Girdraulic" fitters say more is needed.
View attachment 16551
View attachment 16552
Dear Bruce,
Clearance for the shroud is something I had never considered before as I have always run my AVO damper without a shroud. This is a "good heads up" for someone fitting a new front damper for the first time and could save them some extra dismantling when they find they need a bit more clearance.
On an unrelated point; when studying your first photograph more closely I notice that in the bottom left hand corner you can just see your preferred workshop footwear.;) Don't go dropping anything heavy!:eek:

timetraveller

VOC Member
There is one thing which I should have included with some of my comments a few postings ago. I had an email from Chris Launders a week or so ago. It is Chris who has provided all the feedback in Europe with regards to springs, damper etc. What he wrote was that after using the system for a year or so he had only just realised that he had stopped tensing up when he comes up to a large bump or hole in the road. The bike, which has both the front modification and an AVO coil over damper on the rear, just floats over the discontinuity. It is not all just about the handling.