FF: Forks Modified Steering Stem

greg brillus

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I still cant believe the lack of feedback from others, considering there has been 35 of these kits produced in the past 3 years. All I can say is either your bikes are looooooong term projects, or else you still have the kit sitting on the shelf. It's not a spare Vincent cylinder head to use one day in case you need it, it is there to use and improve your bike.............It might even save your life.

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
I still cant believe the lack of feedback from others, considering there has been 35 of these kits produced in the past 3 years. All I can say is either your bikes are looooooong term projects, or else you still have the kit sitting on the shelf. It's not a spare Vincent cylinder head to use one day in case you need it, it is there to use and improve your bike.............It might even save your life.
Greg,

Tomorrow I am off on a 1,000 mile run in Tasmania, over 2 weeks on my Comet with the headstem upgrade and thornton shocks front n rear. At the conclusion there will be a further review from me. A number of Vincent owners who will be with me are queuing up for 'test' rides with my new suspension. I hope to be able to get their feedback published as well.

greg brillus

VOC Member
Thanks Martyn, I was referring more to our European counterparts, of which the only feedback has come from Chris.

Black Flash

VOC Member
Hello to all of you,
I Have been searching through my boxes [I try to avoid the word mess] looking for long eyebolts.
But I cannot find any. But then weekend is approaching and I have all the materials I need to make my own.
Can anyone of the gentlemen who know please tell me the measurement of the distance between the base and the centre of the hole for the bolt for fixing the damper.
Thank you very much in advance
Bernd

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hello to all of you,
I Have been searching through my boxes [I try to avoid the word mess] looking for long eyebolts.
But I cannot find any. But then weekend is approaching and I have all the materials I need to make my own.
Can anyone of the gentlemen who know please tell me the measurement of the distance between the base and the centre of the hole for the bolt for fixing the damper.
Thank you very much in advance
Bernd
Know thy beast says 1", Sorry I can't find one to check, There is a photo of one in the spares web shop, Good Luck, Bill.

greg brillus

VOC Member
Oh alright to keep Vibrac happy the standard length short eye bolts have a height of 5/8" from the base to hole center and the longer eyebolts are 1 1/16" Cheers and beers...........Greg. Ps: Bernd You thanked me before I even sent this.................You must have had good luck on your side.

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
Now covered 500 MILES on superb Tasmanian bike roads. Front end is fantastic. One observation is I may have the front springs a bit stiff. Are set for approx 585 lb at full compression. I will be resetting to around 540 lb at first chance. Which will be when i get back home .... and that is in another 600 miles time.

Other observation is that the front brake is much much more effective now the tyre remains in contact with the road under brakes.

More later.

Last edited by a moderator:

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
Sorry - finger got ahead of , well you know!

Now back home after 1,096 trouble free miles other than one blown headlight globe. A few people tried out my bike with the new front end and all seemed impressed with it - I know I am!

I simply cannot get over the massive improvement the change has also made to the effectivness of the front brake.

As I mentioned earlier I think I have set the front springs too stiff for the ride while smooth was not 'plush' and at no time did I feel that the suspension 'bottomed out'. I was running a 30 Lb, 16 1/2" long spring, no extra preload in one leg and a 75 Lb 14 inch long spring with 3/4" extra preload in the other leg. Here is the data for the spring set up that I used.

Screen Shot 04-03-17 at 05.15 PM 00.JPG

This comming weekend I have another run scheduled in the Australian Alps where I expect to cover around 500 miles over 2 full days. For this run I have removed the additional preload from the 14" spring. It should soften up through the entire travel and I expect an increase in static sag by around 15%

This is what the revised setting yeilds:
Screen Shot 04-03-17 at 05.33 PM 18.JPG

Well thats about it for now - further report next week.