FF: Forks Modified Steering Stem

greg brillus

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Never mind outhandling , We have won four major concours de elegance awards , how many races did you win outright. That was my object., to win with a vincent hot rod!So when I tire of the show circuit I can terrorise the populace with the noise and poise of a fast vincent.
The only reason I did not win more races than I could have is simply because I was not a good enough rider, I know the bike was far more capable than me. I did not set out to win trophies at shows with the racer, I am not interested in trophies, I was interested in building a fast "All Vincent racer" not a Vincent engine in a foreign frame, and one that hopefully would not get into a dire speed wobble and throw me off. To say I achieved that is an understatement, that is a far bigger achievement to me than building some hybrid. I have nothing against Norvin's at all, I just feel that making an original frame Vincent that goes, stops and handles well is a win for the Vincent name full stop. Lets not change the thread too much...........This is about improving the front end on Vincent's not comparing whose bike is better.........I already know the answer hands down to that one.

davidd

VOC Member
For anyone who has not seen it, in the March issue of CBG there is a 10 page Alan Cathcart article on the "unrestored" ex-Jack Ehret Lightning. On the Girdraulics he says "..the handling becomes more assured as you up the pace, with greater precision in steering than the relatively primitive telescopic forks of the day. No wonder John Britten and Claude Fior ..... developed alternative versions of the Vincent blade forks three decades later...."
Perhaps he should be invited to test ride the new Girdraulic geometry?!!

I think the obvious choice would be the Godet Flash, either in France or Team Gallur in Australia.

David

timetraveller

VOC Member
Just to show you that it is all happening.
upload_2017-3-9_13-34-56.png

Black Flash

VOC Member
Hmmm yummi yummi, this looks impressive!
I think there will be quite a few people very happy soon.
Can't wait really.

cheers
Bernd

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
Lovely bits of kit, well made but a little heavier than standard. Norman brought a sample to the GCM and a lot of previous discussions on the forum fell into place for me, I like to handle things, to get the vibes.
bananaman

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
I was servicing my rapide today, and noticed that the five inch speedo bracket acts as a limit stop for upward movement on the top link , not only is the paint worn, but there is a "dent" in both items. Could this be contributing towards the lack of wobbles ?. By the way Greg, the norvin started out as a version of the most succesful G P racer ever. I am still impressed with you efforts.

greg brillus

VOC Member
Particularly when the forks are topped out, depends entirely on what shock absorber and lower eye bolts you use, on all I have used the longer eye bolts. Be sure you do a full compression check before hooking up the spring boxes, that is lift the forks all the way upward, make sure the lower guard stay misses the exhaust in particular. On one I had to move the guard assembly and turn the lower stay around, this gave it 1/4 inch clearance from the front pipe with the forks held fully upward. The actual issue is not that bad.........There is no way on earth that you would have the steering that far around whilst cornering and hitting a bump that severe for the guard to hit the exhaust, when you steer you actually move the handlebars very little. Cheers...............Greg.

timetraveller

VOC Member
OK Chaps, another update. I am now starting to send out the kits but am still waiting for the lower links that have been sent to me to be machined out. Hopefully this will be tomorrow or early next week. The other thing that is slowing some peoples orders down it that we are still experimenting with springs and damper settings. Just to ensure that you are all up to date on this; we first found that with the Oilite bushes, 36 lbs springs and AVO front damper on its lightest setting were ideal. We, Chris Launders really, then modified the rear of the lower link to take needle roller bearings and since then we have gone round and round. Both dampers and spring strengths have had to be changed. AVO have been very helpful with this. Last week they made up a front damper with more damping, somewhere between a Koni and an Armstrong, and we found that that was too stiff, They are now reducing the strength of the damping on that so that on its lightest setting it will be definitely less than a Koni but the damping can then be increased to what you wish. Chris also tried out a Thornton, courtesy of John Emmanuel, and found that this was suitable and had the advantage of about an extra half inch of movement. The disadvantage is that a Thornton damper is nearly three times the price of an AVO. I have therefore asked AVO to make up one of their rear dampers with the same damping as the newly modified (as above) damping and we will see whether the extra half inch of movement is useful. In the mean time a set of 45 lbs/inch springs has been made for those who will be using Greg's bearing modification and these will be sent to those with twins who are going to be using the Greg system. For those with Comets and Oilite bushes I will send out 33 lbs/inch springs as a starter and if anyone with a Comet is going to use the Greg mod then I will supply 36 lb springs.
I am now starting to send out emails to those who have orders where I have all the parts and over then next week or two, hopefully, all the rest of you can starts and receive all the parts you have ordered.
One thing that I would ask is that once you have received and fitted you kits that you supply feedback through this Forum. The lack of people able to supply feedback on this has slowed things down but hopefully once the first five or six users can supply feedback then we can very quickly optimise the settings for most people. There are several potential tricks up our sleeves such as fitting a short stiff spring inside the longer springs which can be tried if needed but more feedback is needed before more changes are made.