Modern tires

vincenttwin

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Any one using modern Avon tires front 3.25x19 and rear 3.50x 19

What modern sizes will fit an Vincent Twin .

Thanks

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Hi. Peter,
Avon Roadriders, 19", work very well on my Rapide.

Regards,
Eddy.

Last edited:

John Cone

VOC Member
While i agree that Avon have been good tyres in the past please take note. Avon Roadriders have a problem, please check yours. Look carefully at the centre of the tyre especially in bottom of the deep grove, there seems to be a problem of them cracking after only a month or two of riding. A work mate has sent 3 back to Avon that he had fitted to his Norton Commander. Avon are investigating the problem but they don't give a 100% refund.

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Noting what John Cone has said, so please check your own tyres, I'll add that on my Rapide using Roadriders I changed the first rear tyre after approximately 8000 miles (it was very well worn;-)), the second rear after approximately 7500 miles and the third rear after approximately 6000 miles. (It still had some wear left in it but as I had the tyre off to sort a puncture I took the opportunity to fit a new tyre.) The first Roadrider on the front lasted almost 20,000 miles and the replacement has so far completed approximately 10,000 miles all without any problems.

While i agree that Avon have been good tyres in the past please take note. Avon Roadriders have a problem, please check yours. Look carefully at the centre of the tyre especially in bottom of the deep grove, there seems to be a problem of them cracking after only a month or two of riding. A work mate has sent 3 back to Avon that he had fitted to his Norton Commander. Avon are investigating the problem but they don't give a 100% refund.

Albervin

VOC Member
Wow, that is not a lot of miles. I was thinking how long mine have lasted and about 12-14,000 Km seems to be the go. This is "only" 8,000 miles so obviously much softer than the Roadrunners. We pay an exorbitant amount here in Australia for all tyres but I don't mind if I can trust them with my life. I run between 27 and 32 psi on the rear, what about you?

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Dear Alyn,
I think that like a lot of things in life we come to a compromise. The rubber used in the Roadriders give good grip so I guess it is quite soft and therefore tends to wear more quickly. Years ago tyres used to last ages but had poorer grip levels, especially in the wet. The compromise is between the tyre feel being good against the tyre replacement period. It works out to approximately a new rear every year and a new front every other year so I always have quite "fresh" rubber.
I use mid to high 20's tyre pressure and the majority of my riding is with a pillion passenger. (I wouldn't dare to suggest that she is to blame for tyre wear.;-)) With these pressures the tyre feels warm to the hand but not hot.
The rear tyre for the Rapide is about half the price and about half the width of a rear tyre on my Ducati. They both do approximately the same number of miles. Which is better value for money? Difficult to say as it depends on what kind of riding you want to do. In my case the Ducati has stood unused in the garage for three years as I've been using and enjoying the Rapide.:D

As an aside we had a great time last November in SA staying with our eldest daughter. They live in the Barossa Valley region near Adelaide. If we can afford to go again we will definitely look at getting a bike to use.

Wow, that is not a lot of miles. I was thinking how long mine have lasted and about 12-14,000 Km seems to be the go. This is "only" 8,000 miles so obviously much softer than the Roadrunners. We pay an exorbitant amount here in Australia for all tyres but I don't mind if I can trust them with my life. I run between 27 and 32 psi on the rear, what about you?

raygray

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
In the seventies I was riding 12000 miles a year mostly on my Touring Rap.

I was getting 5000 to 6000 from a rear TT 100 410x18 and same from rear chains about 12000 from front TT100 380x 19.

Now have to replace them whithout wearing out.

raygray

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Just noticed that I am listed as a non member . Bit upset by this as I have been a continuse member since 1972.