Modern tires for my shadow

Tom Gaynor

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I doubt it'll make much difference. 90/90 is the old 3.50 section, so your front wheel is now an inch bigger in diameter (21 + 2 x 3.5). Your 21 x 3.00 is already an inch larger than my 20 x 3.0 (or, same thing, 19 x 3.50) and there are people who swear by the 21" front. Will another inch make a difference? I doubt it. If the Vincent's steering geometry is so sensitive that carrying the front wheel spindle 1/2" higher leads to disaster, then we're all doomed anyway!!! Doomed I tell you!!! Doomed!!!
It might feel a bit heavier because you've got more rubber on the road, but personally the 3.00 section seems to me to have a somewhat tenuous hold on the road and more would be better. (What works, but would require rebuilding my front wheel is to use a 20" WM2 rim, which spreads the skinny tyre out a bit compared with the WM1. I know someone who has done this and he reports nothing but good.)
What needs also to be taken into consideration is that the only similarity between the tyres fitted at Stevenage and the tyres you can buy today is that both are black and round. The rubber on my 3.00 x 20 and 110/90 (i.e. 4.10) x 19 road tyres is as good as race tyres were in the 1970's, and light years better than the bakelite ones fitted in the 1950's. And race tyres today - well, be careful touching them with dry hands. They might have to be surgically removed.
I wouldn't worry too much about fitting decent brakes to a Vincent. Rudges have the forks Brampton are based on, standard is a 9" drum, and I've seen them converted to 2ls. I've never heard of Rudge forks breaking. I've got PV 2ls brakes, and what they give me that I want above all is an instant response. Ultimately however they're still the equivalent of a single 7" brake with a 2" wide lining, and that's scarcely enough to frighten the horses. As standard Rudges had a 9" brake with an 1 1/2" wide lining from about 1932.

I have just purchased a 90/90 x21 AM20 Avon and am a little concerned about the width (compared to the old 3.00 x 21 SpeedMaster Avon). Can anyone out there indicate how it affects steering/handling/braking?
I have standard brakes and Bramptons but may be tempted to upgrade to one of the modern brake alternatives. I am also putting a 100/90 AM26 Avon on the rear. The reason I am breaking with 25 years of tradition is that if I don't try it I won't know ... After all, I can take them off if it is a disaster.

Tom Gaynor

VOC Member
Must go and look, but I don't think so. Bigger and better than Vincent for sure - even in 1932. Some of the early ones had titchy little 7" brakes like a Vincent. Note that functionally two brakes are no more powerful than one brake twice as wide. Power is determined by diameter (and multiplied by servo effect, or not). Fade resistance is governed by lining area, i.e. width.

Tom,

I thought Rudges have 8" brakes as standard.......

Cheers

Dave

Bazlerker

Non-VOC Member
Vincents are expensive to purchase and repair and don't belong to us - we are only caretakers..fit Cheng Shin copies of K70 Dunlops..and ride it with the care and respect that it deserves..buy a modern bike with wonderful brakes, suspension and tires to match when you want to drag a knee.

Black Flash

VOC Member
Hello Bob,
I certainly understand your humour. Five years ago I was so fed up that none of my many projects was finished and I was sure I did not want to miss another riding season that I bought a modern bike. Being anglophil ( I hope it is the right spelling) of course it had to be an English bike and it should have the looks. Working in Milano I drove past a Triumph dealer in a taxi. I immediately made the driver stop and I glanced through the window at the new retro Triumph Thruxton. So much reminded me on the Triton I once had, the chequered tape, the single seat, clip ons, rearsets you name it, she got it.
I bought a black one back home and have done about 1200 miles in 5 years. What a crap bike ! Compared to a Vin the bike is immensely top heavy, riding slow in town she always tries to fall into corners and you have to steer hard against it if you do not want to fall over, going fast it is just the other way round, you have to force the bike to corner.

As good as she looks, I hate to ride that bike and even my brothers clapped out Comet built from left over parts is so much more inspiring than this b....dy heap.

I am no more interested in souless newish bikes, I want my Vin to be finally finished!

Sorry for being rude

Bernd

Last edited:

Tom Gaynor

VOC Member
I believe you. I meant to go and look today, and forgot. I've had 9" as the size "in my head" since I first had one, in 1976.

Tracey Tilley

VOC Member
We found the Avon Roadrider grippy but they don't last.
So now Bridgestone BT45s are fitted.
Over 7000 miles so far,2 up plus camping equipment.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
The prices for BT-45's are good here in the US. The skinniest front listed is 100/90-19 and rear is 110/90-18. Too bad my rims are 21" & 19".

My rear Roadrider has worn out in the middle (what else here in the flat Midwest?) Maybe I should send it to you to wear out the sides?

b'knighted

VOC Member
I found that the BT45 also wore out in the middle so I went looking for a tyre with solid rubber in the middle so that it would wear less and not reach visibly illegal levels so quickly. There was a roadrunner design AM21 which I admired on other peoples bikes but they had been replaced by the AM18 by the time I tried to buy one. The Gripster/Distanzia block tread does not suffer from a continuous centre groove and seems to be wearing very little.

Cheers,

bmetcalf

VOC Member
I got Michelin Pilot Road 2's for my Buell last year. These are supposed to have a harder compound in the center and softer rubber on the sides. Seems OK so far. These are not available in the sizes we need for our Vins.

Last edited:

Black Flash

VOC Member
Peter Barker suggested to me using a 3.60 19" front and a 4.10 19" TT 100 rear, they are H rated (210 km/h).
before ordering them I somehow had the feeling I should ask the German MOT ( TÜV) and guess what.?

my shadow has 200kph in its documents and by German law you need a 10% safety gap, which means the tires need to be rated at 220 kph.
as this rating does not exist I need to buy V-rated tires. the only ones available in suitable size are the AM 26 as mentioned before.

it means should I have a tire problem somewhere anf i could get a TT 100 from a dealer to get me going again, I am loosing my insurance and it is an offence which will add 4 point on my license plus 120 Euros.

thank you Mrs Merkel

P.S. this write up contains a bit of sarcasm