Modern tires for my shadow

Black Flash

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hello there,

I got hold of a Black Shadow last year and want to take it on the road this summer. The bike has rebuilt wheels with alloy rims ( I know the purists will shudder and turn around in disgust) but the tires on the bike are over 25 years old. she has 19" wheels front WM2 and back WM2 and personally I never liked the safetymilage tires on my brothers bike very much. I still have a new alloy rim here so it would beasy to change the rear rim to a WM3 if necessary.
What are your proposals, I live in a hilly area and would like something with a surefooted handling and the tires should be readily available.
cheers
Bernd

b'knighted

VOC Member
I am running my Knight on Avon Distanzias front and rear. !9" front tubed and 18" 110/80 rear tubeless and am really impressed. I have friends in the section using 21" front Distanzias which are easier to find than the 19, comparitively cheap and don't look out of place. They seem to be the tyre of choice for some of the modern BMWs so may stay available for a little while. If it is not too late I'd say go for 21" front and 18 rear.

Cheers,

Black Flash

VOC Member
thank you for your quick answers. Nulli, do you use the same size front and rear?

Ian, I have an 18 inch rear wheel in my Comet which is going to be (hopefully) a go faster Comet. the Comet sports a wide rim and a 130/70 rear tyre. What I do not like is the big gap between the front of the tyre and the RFM, it looks a bit lost somehow.
Of course I can still change rim sizes but there should be some 19" tires around ?!

I liked the 21" front tyre on my brothers "B" alot, but then I thought it was probably down to the Bramptons

cheers
Bernd

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Without hesitation I would recommend Avon AM26 Roadriders.

http://www.classictyres.com/item/302/100-90v19-avon-uk-road-tyre--roadrider-am26-universal

If you check here you can compare technical specs with other Avon tyres.

http://www.avon-tyres.co.uk/motorcycle/roadrider

Complete agreement with David. I run AM26 90/90 x 19" front and 100/90 x 19" Rear. I run pressures at around 25 lbs/psi Excellent steering, roadholding and wet grip. The front is ready for renewal but has done over 18,000 miles and the last rear lasted around 7,500 miles. A lot of these miles have been with a passenger all over the UK including the Isle of Man for a very wet Manx Rally in 2009 without any problems.

Albervin

VOC Member
I have just purchased a 90/90 x21 AM20 Avon and am a little concerned about the width (compared to the old 3.00 x 21 SpeedMaster Avon). Can anyone out there indicate how it affects steering/handling/braking?
I have standard brakes and Bramptons but may be tempted to upgrade to one of the modern brake alternatives. I am also putting a 100/90 AM26 Avon on the rear. The reason I am breaking with 25 years of tradition is that if I don't try it I won't know ... After all, I can take them off if it is a disaster.

john998

VOC Member
Hello Albervin,
No information on the tyres but wonder about up-rated brakes on Brampton's. In my dim and distant racing day some said that the standard set up was capable
of bending the forks if the brakes worked well.
My Rapide has Bramptons, now more comfortable and better handling with a Robert Watson spring damper unit. Has anyone had a severe wobble on Bramptons?
Was hoping to see beautiful Australia this year, but the exchange rate says no.
Regards John.

Albervin

VOC Member
John, never a hint of a wobble and I have a coil over Koni front unit. It is the change of tyre profile that had me thinking. So different to what was originally intended/designed; would it upset the geometry? I will take it carefully at first but I will wait before I contemplate a steering damper. Bill, do you know of any steering issues with Bramptons and 90/90 tyres?

bmetcalf

VOC Member
I have a 90/90x 21 AM26 on the front and a 100/90 x 19 on the back, plus a Kaw steering damper. I haven't pushed hard enough to notice that the damper did anything. I think the taller front tire increases the fork rake and makes it more stable. When the bike is being pushed and I straighten the forks, the effort to "lift" the bike slightly is noticeable. When I had a 19" on the front, I was concerned about the forks being more vertical than designed, sort of on the way to the unstable sidecar position of the eccentrics. I never observed any problem, though.

The only permanent mod for the damper was to drill & tap blind holes in the underside of the lower crown lugs , per p. 289 in 40YO.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hello Albervin, No I don't know of any trouble, It was just a general tip. I was not sure you were fitting them to a B. I was told to fit some racing tyres, Years ago, by a top tyre bloke, and the front one was wider than the back, Big mistake!! Found out later he was more to do with adverts !! Good luck, Bill.