Modern tires for my shadow

BigEd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Peter Barker suggested to me using a 3.60 19" front and a 4.10 19" TT 100 rear, they are H rated (210 km/h).
before ordering them I somehow had the feeling I should ask the German MOT ( TÜV) and guess what.?

my shadow has 200kph in its documents and by German law you need a 10% safety gap, which means the tires need to be rated at 220 kph.
as this rating does not exist I need to buy V-rated tires. the only ones available in suitable size are the AM 26 as mentioned before.

it means should I have a tire problem somewhere anf i could get a TT 100 from a dealer to get me going again, I am loosing my insurance and it is an offence which will add 4 point on my license plus 120 Euros.

thank you Mrs Merkel

P.S. this write up contains a bit of sarcasm

An example of the potential to be caught out by bureaucracy and obscure laws that keep getting foisted on to the motorist.
It seems ironic that a tyre (the Dunlop K81) that was renamed the TT100 in honour of Malcolm Uphill using them to do a 100 mph lap in the Isle of Man is not considered "fast enough" to be used on a Vincent in Germany.
God save us from the politicians!

Albervin

VOC Member
What if...

Peter Barker suggested to me using a 3.60 19" front and a 4.10 19" TT 100 rear, they are H rated (210 km/h).
before ordering them I somehow had the feeling I should ask the German MOT ( TÜV) and guess what.?

my shadow has 200kph in its documents and by German law you need a 10% safety gap, which means the tires need to be rated at 220 kph.
as this rating does not exist I need to buy V-rated tires. the only ones available in suitable size are the AM 26 as mentioned before.

it means should I have a tire problem somewhere anf i could get a TT 100 from a dealer to get me going again, I am loosing my insurance and it is an offence which will add 4 point on my license plus 120 Euros.

thank you Mrs Merkel

P.S. this write up contains a bit of sarcasm
Is it possible to change your documents to signify 160 KPH by reason that it is nearly 60 years old, worn out and not much better than a Hyosung 650?
More than a trace of sarcasm and cynicism !!!!

Tom Gaynor

VOC Member
As I recollect, you've got a 19" front? Roadriders (in race compound) are virtually standard wear on classic bikes. From memory those were AM20 90/90 front, and AM22 110/90 rear. The AM26 on the back of the Vin is almost identical to the AM22. My rear lasts about 4-5000 miles, generally solo with luggage. The 20" Avon front lasts about 9000.
(I sent you a message to say that your suggestion cured my login problems, but the message might be still wandering the trackless wastes of hyperspace. Thanks, anyway.)
We found the Avon Roadrider grippy but they don't last.
So now Bridgestone BT45s are fitted.
Over 7000 miles so far,2 up plus camping equipment.

Last edited by a moderator:

vibrac

VOC Member
I know Ron Kemp bent the bottom of his Bramptons with standard lighning brakes and AM4 racing on his Comet but he simply added a cross brace at the bottom because its there that the two tubes bend.I have had no trouble with my bramptons on the alphabet twin but perhaps I never left it as late as Ron did!
As for apologising about having alloy rims on your front wheel-dont they are the best, however I am not so sure about a 19" front wheel thats throwing away most of the advantages of the Brampton over the Girdralics,put a 20" front on you wont regret it.