Membership

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Am I member or not?.
Brian, I only have access to certain parts of the system and not the full membership database but looking you are a member for 2024 having successfully paid yesterday. What I cannot see is was you a renewing member or a new member, but I have just upgraded you to full member on this forum which required manual intervention.

Maybe your payment took some time to go through as it was a bank holiday yesterday and so any credit/debit payments may have been pending due to the bank holiday. I have noticed with my own bank HSBC that bank transfers are instant but purchases on my card are always pending until the start of the next working day.

Jonathan Lambley

VOC Machine Researcher
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
It is a shame when people decide to leave the club but it is their choice, which we must respect.
However, as Vince touched on above, its how history is made and the Vincent marque is sustained.
From the perspective that Vince, Simon Dinsdale, myself and the legends before us, in the machine dating part of the VOC are concerned, it is vital for our records, your machines history and the long term security of them, that we know where all the Vincents on the planet are, and who owns them.
As individuals we are not that important really, it's not about the money, it's about the fantastic machines that we, and the future owners, own.
So don't think about yourself, think about the Vincent marque.
Happy 2024 everybody
Jon Lambley
VOC machine researcher

Last edited:

Jonathan Lambley

VOC Machine Researcher
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I hope that membership of the VOC is not motivated by just financial incentives. the real bonus for me is sixty years of friends,racing,meals, club nights, foreign visits and companionship. ( and that's from someone who was too busy riding the damn things to go to a rally for the first 15-20 years)
May I add, if for instance you owned a Douglas, Scott or a Velo and were Not in the respective owners club, you would not be able to even buy spares from the clubs arranged sources, let alone a 10% discount.
The Matchless & AJS club are the same. I even offered to pay them 10-20% more but as I wasn't a club member they turned me down. Bonkers from a business point of view.

Pete Appleton

VOC Hon. Editor
Staff member
VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
There is a genuine reason why some of these club spares schemes will only supply to members. The spares scheme is the club. As a member - thus part owner - of that club you can't sue yourself. An attempt at limiting public liability.

VOCSC is a totally different setup.

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Its a lawyers/ambulance chasing world. Unlike many I don't blame Maggie Thatcher for a lot of things she is blamed for, but allowing lawyers to advertise instead of relying on a brass plate on their door and word of mouth was a bad bad thing.
I am a great lover of things American but this is one aspect we could have done without.

Last edited:

bmetcalf

VOC Member
Just pray that your lawyers don't buy enough politicians to get the Yank system where the loser of a suit doesn't have to pay the winner's legal fees.

LoneStar

VOC Member
One unfortunate effect of runaway lawsuits in the US is the devaluation of warnings. In order to deter lawsuits, nearly everything is festooned with dire warnings of danger and the need for caution and protective equipment. And the state of California believes nearly everything causes cancer, and insists on telling you so via labels.

The result of all this is that warnings that are genuine, based on real risks, are lost in a sea of unfounded ones and thus may be ignored.

Vincent Brake

VOC Member
Its all gone by here.:
30 odd years ago the A3 in Germany was only having 5 restrictions in speed.

After seeing 30 odd Porsche s hanging in a tree, the wives decided to sue the local governments.
Hence 100 km/H signs put on.

Thx to Mercedes the A7 is relatively open speed.

I love the isle of mann

Last edited:

Speedtwin

VOC Member
A7, Mercedes, yes I maxed out my then Honda Blackbird on the A7.
Felt like a real hero for one second until a fully loaded family Mercedes Estate car breezed past me.
Kids in the back waved at me that was the end of my hero time.