Malta calling

clevtrev

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member

Johnbull

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I am pretty sure that one of the bikes in Vancouver was an original Malta bike, now owned by "Monkeypants" who subscribes to this list. The engine anyway, an early B, I think engine 38, but in later C chassis parts.

Quite possible Robert. I have recently been doing a bit of research on HRDs and Vincents in Malta and have indeed found quite a few pics. There appear to have been a number of B and C Rapides and Shadows, and even a White Shadow, but as far as I know, none of them are still in Malta. All have been re-exported, which is a pity of course.

Unfortunately I have no access to engine and frame numbers so they cannot easily be traced.

Johnbull

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Trev. So you've been to my place in St. Paul's Bay ? And joined us on a Saturday run on the Meteor ? Well, well, well; small world, isn't it.

/QUOTE]
http://www.vincentownersclub.co.uk/photos/showphoto.php?photo=7819&title=pict0022&cat=526

The picture was taken before you acquired the bike. Bill lent it to me to take for a ride, with Sheila on the back. This was a December day, note the choice of riding gear. Woolly hat had to suffice.

I'm afraid you'll have to post the pic elsewhere as I cannot access it. Can I ask you to e mail it as an attachment to: johnbull@go.net.mt Thanks.

Johnbull

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Clevtrev. Thanks for pics. The one of you on the Meteor was taken a Xemxija Bay (St. Paul's Bay area) as you correctly say. That with Bill standing by the bike was taken at the Ta Xbiex Yacht Marina, with Bill's boat "Silvie" in the background. Must have been mid fifties ? I'll show the pics to Bill and see if he remembers them.

An interesting point arises out of those and other pics I have of the bike. Have you noticed the aluminium mudguard blades and stays. The same ones are still on the bike today and I have always thought that they are the originals, but are they ?

I recently ordered a set of front mudguard stays from VOC and sure enough the holes didn't match. But they do match with the wider steel mudguards on Tony Cassar's Series C Rapide. So were the aluminium mudguard blades on the Series B Meteor slimmer, or are mine incorrect ?

I'm sure someone can answer. Strange thing is that I have a very early 50s photo of the same bike with the same slim mudguard blades and stays. For one moment I thought they were AJS/Matchless CSR items, but then the CSR hadn't even been dreamt of in the early 50s.

Johnbull

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
You're quite right Trev. It will be December of 81. I worked that out from the licence disc which says it is renewable in 82. I bought the bike off Bill that year. My goodness that's a long time ago.

The pic inserted was taken during the Milano Taranto Rally in Italy. I think it was 91 or 92. Can't remember that far back. milano-1.jpg

Last edited:

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
Robert is correct, I have Rapide engine #38 which originally went to Malta. It was crashed there and shipped to Scotland in the early fifties. Sometime shortly after arrival in Scotland the engine was put into a C Comet rolling chassis. The original upper and lower frame members must have been repairable or perhaps unharmed as they are now in use on a bike in Sweden and a bike in Scotland.

The bike was used for many years in Scotland, then went onto England, then was sold by Verralls into Australia where is was ridden for a decade or so. I bought it in 2004 and had it ocean shipped from Australia to me here in Vancouver, Canada. I've ridden it about 25,000 miles to date and have enjoyed it immensely.

Somewhere in an older MPH there is a 1947? photo of a man in Sailor garb, in Malta, sitting astride a new looking B Rapide. I recall that the info under the photo states that the B Rapide is one of only two B Rapides that were sent to Malta.

Glen

Last edited:

jim burgess

VOC Member
look, back to serious stuff, about this Malta rally, can we have it in August? That way I can attend, I'm a teacher...
Cheers
Jim

Johnbull

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Please forgive typos. I'm writing with just left hand as I have just had right hand operated - too much use of throttle !!!

The "B" Rapide you mention was also Bill Kind's. He had bought it from a British serviceman in the late 50s and eventually sold it in Scotland. I had a BSA Golden Flash at the time and he offered me a straight swap, since the BSA had swinging arm suspension and would be more comfortable for his pilliuon partner. Muggins here refused to take an old heap in exchange !!! Much later I bought the "B" Meteor I still own, from Bill.

I probably have some pics of that Rapide.

Re Malta rally, August would be impossibly hot. We did organise a small rally last May and had quite a few Italians. I did this year's Irish rally on my 1934 Triumph, and there were 3 HRD's / Vincents on the Giro di Sicilia this year - Tony Cassar's 50 Rapide C, Dr. Claudio Femiano's C Comet, and my 48 B Meteor. I don't know of any plans for a repeat this year, but you never know. I will keep you posted.